Question on Plywood

merlin

Bunnings have Balsa, it is very light and as Ray has said, it is used for model planes etc. Also to make dolls house furniture. Quite expensive and very restricted in sizes.
I did a little research on Paulownia and it seems to be quite a new timber on the market. The prices are reasonable a 2.4 metre length of DAR 90 x 30 mm Radiata pine is $31.90 compared to $37.92 for Paulownia. Mind you the Paulwonia price is as of 2019 so it probably is quite a bit dearer now.
http://paulowniatimber.com.au/index.php

Edited by John B

Found an article in Wikipedia about Paulownia. It says that Paulownia is the fastest growing hardwood and compares it to balsa.  It is almost twice as dense as balsa and has a higher strength-to-weight ratio than balsa.  

The following is copied from the Wikipedia article.  

Japan: An Illustrated Encyclopedia states:

Paulownia wood is very light, fine-grained, and warp-resistant. It is the fastest-growing hardwood. It is used for chests, boxes, and clogs (geta). The wood is burned to make charcoal for sketching and powder for fireworks, the bark is made into a dye. The silvery-grey wood is sliced into veneers for special visiting cards.[19][20]

A Japanese Kobundō (小分銅), 95–97% gold, "Paulownia" Kiri () mark, Kikubana (菊花) emblem, 373.11 grams, Japan

It is important in China, Korea, and Japan for making the soundboards of stringed musical instruments such as the guqin, guzheng, pipa, koto, and gayageum.[5] More recently it is used as body material for low-cost electric guitars,[21] as the core for lightweight touring skis,[22][23] and for surfboard cores.[24] It is used in guitars as the core body, then laminated under a more durable wood.[21]

2 hours ago, TAIrving said:

Found an article in Wikipedia about Paulownia. It says that Paulownia is the fastest growing hardwood and compares it to balsa.  It is almost twice as dense as balsa and has a higher strength-to-weight ratio than balsa.  

The following is copied from the Wikipedia article.  

Japan: An Illustrated Encyclopedia states:

Paulownia wood is very light, fine-grained, and warp-resistant. It is the fastest-growing hardwood. It is used for chests, boxes, and clogs (geta). The wood is burned to make charcoal for sketching and powder for fireworks, the bark is made into a dye. The silvery-grey wood is sliced into veneers for special visiting cards.[19][20]

A Japanese Kobundō (小分銅), 95–97% gold, "Paulownia" Kiri () mark, Kikubana (菊花) emblem, 373.11 grams, Japan

It is important in China, Korea, and Japan for making the soundboards of stringed musical instruments such as the guqin, guzheng, pipa, koto, and gayageum.[5] More recently it is used as body material for low-cost electric guitars,[21] as the core for lightweight touring skis,[22][23] and for surfboard cores.[24] It is used in guitars as the core body, then laminated under a more durable wood.[21]

I wonder why it is considered "hardwood".

45 minutes ago, OCtoolguy said:

I did not know that. Has nothing to do with density?

Not that I know of .... I can't tell you any more than what I said, it's just one of those useless facts you pick up. You could Google it if your interested to know more.

Edited by Eplfan2011