A little help, please

Gene Howe

As anyone who who even slightly knows me will attest, I am far from the sharpest knife in the drawer. That's why I am so grateful for this forum full of experienced and, smart folks. 

I think I understand the stacked ring concept of bowl and, box building. But I Can't seem to be able to wrap my head around how to design a similarily constructed vase, with a bulbous bottom, slender neck and flared top. Sorta like they stereotyped Alladan's Lamp, without the handle. It seems to me to require differently angled cuts with nearly every ring. I am aware that the angles change depending on the stock thickness. But, that's where my awareness ends. If smeone could point me to a relevent resource, I'd be most appreciative. Thanks.

Oops, looks like I may have posted this in the wrong location. Sorry.

Edited by Gene Howe

Hi, I am Mark... I think I can help.

I did a hollow football with changing angles on each slice.  The football ends are 45 deg.  The angles at the fattest part is close to 6 deg. 

On each slice, the wall thickness changes.  Each slice outer edge matches the lower outer edge.  Each slice inside edge matches lower inside edge. 

You start with out side cut angle. Then calculate the wall thickness.

example... I wanted bottom cut of 45deg.  Wood thickness is 3/4".

Wall thickness 3/4" 

tan 45 = (wall thickness) / ( wood thk)

wall thk =  0.75 * (tan 45)...

wall thk = 0.75

2nd ring....  lets say we want 37 deg angle.  

wall thk= 0.75 * (tan 37)

wall thk = 0.656.

this means you offset the next cut ring by 0.656 inches.

I will be glad to make you a inkscape pattern.  Just sketch a vase profile  and make dimensions of how high. 

Or I can send you a spreadsheet that will calculate angles of next slice.

Now I have not figured out how to cut greater than 45 deg. But sanding is the key.

Since this is in the wrong category lets finish this with personal messages.