Delta's First Scroll Saw

DRugerH

Do you have a photo of this first Delta scroll saw before you started the restoration? It's great to see what the P 20 that I have that I bought back in 2005 just before Delta was bought out by Black and Decker, evolved from!                                                      Thanks for sharing!                                                                                                                                                                                                 Erv

20 hours ago, redwine said:

Do you have a photo of this first Delta scroll saw before you started the restoration?

As a matter of fact, I do.  I didn't actually take a before picture myself, but the PO reached out to me, on another forum, and sent it to me.  An after-market attachment was used on the saw to use coping saw blades.  It was gone before I purchased the saw, but that's fine as I would have removed it myself.

Before01.thumb.jpeg.7d391146454c2309e96862efb0c49720.jpeg

Dan

P.S.  I just realized how small this little saw looks on my table saw. 

Edited by DRugerH

• 2 weeks later...

Have you tried cutting with it yet? Would be good to hear and see the results.

My first scroll saw was a Dunlap (Sears Brand) given to me in the early 1950's. After using it, I have no idea why I still liked scroll sawing. The blade clamps were terrible, used pinned blades, and spring return in the up direction, so broke blades rapidly. It would have been totally impossible to use blades as small as I do now. It became my shop door stop and it it's second job very well for many years.

Charley

13 hours ago, CharleyL said:

Have you tried cutting with it yet? Would be good to hear and see the results.

No, not yet.  I still have to make the crank handle for it, and I haven't had the gumption to do it yet.  I did mount a pinned blade to it, and it holds the blade nice and tight.  I don't see why it wouldn't cut.  It'll be awkward to use one hand on the crank and one holding the piece, but I'll do something simple with some thin pine or something, just for fun.  I'll post back when I finally make the crank and get it cutting.

Dan