Forstner bit question

OCtoolguy

I hate to do anything unsafely so I ask this question. I need to bore a 1.5 " hole in 3/4" cherry using a forstner bit. The speed chart online says not over 300 rpm. The slowest my dp will go is 620. What would you smart folks do? I want the hole straight so a hand drill is not an option.

17 minutes ago, Dan said:

Cherry will burn if you're not careful so go a little at a time. My drill press also goes 620 rpm at it's slowest. I drill a very shallow hole, wait a few seconds, then drill another and repeat until the hole is complete. 

So it's ok as long as I take it slow? Thanks, Dan. I was hoping for that answer. 

I use some of the more pricey bits.. as you might know, I use the 1-3/8 and 1-7/8 bits to drill into my clocks I make.. and most clocks are made from Cherry.. I first was worried about the DP speed too.. then I believe is was maybe JT that mention he runs his bits fast.. I've never had a burning issue with a good sharp bit. I've also been using the same but since 2007 and never have sharpen it yet.. though it could use it I think.. Can't tell you how many holes I've drilled with that 1-3/8 bit but it has to be a lot... The bit I use and the oldest one is a Amana brand that I bought from Klockit.. I since bought a Freud.. nice bit but the Amana is still working better than the brand new Freud, LOL.. I think the biggest thing is make sure you have a good hold on it whether you're clamping it or just holding it with your hand.. Most my pieces are large enough that I have good leverage and not close to the bit so I just hold it by hand.. A dull crappy bit might rip it out of your hand though.. Bought a full set from Menards years ago too because I wanted different sizes.. I got what I paid for I guess as the whole set was about the same price as that one Amana or Freud.. I have used some of the odd sizes and they do work but not the best at all..