Nickle Test

Hawk

Today, while cleaning up a bit I got to thinking about that nickle test I've read and seen on YouTube and thought..."I wonder". So I got a nickle put it on my Delta P-20 and cranked it on. After about 5 seconds the nickle fell over. Tried it several more times, and all the same result. I thought  " well, kinda what I figured". Then went over to my King 16", I've had it about a year. Put the nickle on it's edge, cranked the King on, and.........there it stood, on edge, unphased by the scrollsaw running. I went thru the speed spectrum and it stayed on it's edge. 

I had always thought the P-20 was rock solid, practically vibration free, was I ever wrong. I know that when cutting on the King it was much easier to stay on line for me, never figured that a little vibration can make a difference. 

Anyhow, just a little part of my day, back to regularly scheduled programs....

Chris 

5 hours ago, Norm Fengstad said:

my saw is mounted on casters as I like to move iy around especially to get the summer sunshine.   

When I made my scroll saw stand (wood 4x4 legs) I put retractable casters on it like the ones below from Amazon. 
It allows me to move it around and then lower stand legs to go directly on the floor.  
Pleased with it - not too expensive and easy to install them.

Ronlap Workbench Casters Kit 880 Lbs Capacity, 3" Extra Heavy Duty Retractable Casters 4 Pack, Side Mounted Adjustable Table Stepdown Casters

1 hour ago, Joe W. said:

When I made my scroll saw stand (wood 4x4 legs) I put retractable casters on it like the ones below from Amazon. 
It allows me to move it around and then lower stand legs to go directly on the floor.  

Ronlap Workbench Casters Kit 880 Lbs Capacity, 3" Extra Heavy Duty Retractable Casters 4 Pack, Side Mounted Adjustable Table Stepdown Casters

I use these casters on my workbench.

17 hours ago, Joe W. said:

Thanks for the tip , just might might make the change

Weight and flex in your stand are the two things I have found that are critical to keeping the saw running smooth.  The first stand I built flexed, though you couldn't see it.  This caused the saw to have spots where it ran glass smooth and others that were unbearably rough.  Increasing the weight on the stand helped some, but the flex remained.  The new bench is 2x4's laminated together and bolted to a cabinet that is framed from 2x4's.  It is HEAVY, and I don't think anything will ever cause the laminated 2x4s to flex.  My saw now runs smooth at all speeds.

If no one has mentioned it, one huge tip is to have 3 points on the floor.  3 legs/feet naturally find level on their own.  Unless your floor is laser flat 4 legs will always have a wee bit of wobble.  My stand has 4 casters, but I prop the back up on a 2x4 stood on edge.  4 legs to 3.  Dead solid and the little bit of extra angle is nice (my saw is already angled but the extra was a nice bonus). 

2 hours ago, rash_powder said:

3 legs/feet naturally find level on their own. 

Yep - I went that route also - found a plan on the net and used 4x4s for the legs, 2 pieces of 1 1/4" thick wide boards plus a piece of carpet for the scroll saw to bolt to and retractable casters.  Very happy with it.