Pegas or Seyco

Pompeio

I have no experience using a scroll saw but am looking at either the Pegas or Seyco scroll saw with stand.  I am an experienced hobbyist woodworker having previously made cabinetry and furniture and am also learning to use a lathe.

I know the Pegas and Seyco are not inexpensive but I prefer to spend more money now then getting something less expensive and later regretting the purchase. Both saws are similarly priced although the Seyco does include the stand.  I have read quite a bit and watched a number of videos regarding both units.  There seem to be a lot of “pros” and not many “cons” for either saw.  

Pegas certainly has a much larger retail network both in store (Klingspor and Woodcraft) and on-line whereas Seyco appears to be available only through their own website.  Customer service seems to be outstanding through either saw’s on-line retailers. My main concern with the Seyco is the service and parts availability should this small enterprise close shop.

Anyone with experience with either or both saws with a recommendation or general advice care to help in my decision?

Both great saws but the Pegas has features that the Seyco doesn't. The blade clamps are better and the head tilting mechanism is better. Granted, Ray at Seyco offers fantastic service but you already addressed that. Unless you need a large table, I'd buy the Pegas. I have 2 Excaliburs on homemade stands so that isn't an issue unless it's important to you. Either way, you will have a great saw. 

Welcome to the village!!

Both saws are great saws and a good investment. I personally would also go with Pegas for the blade clamps and the angle adjustment mechanism is different ( not necessarily better but more user friendly is probably a better way to describe that ) . As for parts.. IF you're mechanical incline enough to repair a saw yourself I think probably most of the mechanical parts are basically they same.. as both the Pegas and Seyco were both designed after the Excalibur as is the King and Jet brands.. each have a minor difference of mostly blade clamps and or table size or angle adjustment fixtures. But the main working parts I'm pretty certain are pretty interchangeable.. only those that share the same size though.. I know Jet makes a 18" saw.. so the link rods inside might be different length but I would bet the bearings and sleeves are the same.. Anyway, I would think a mechanical inclined person could make parts work from one saw to the next without too much issue.   

Anyway as I said Pegas have great blade clamps and many folks that get a Jet, King, or Seyco end up buying Pegas clamps for their saw.. so why not just start with that saw.. they are so similar to one another really a toss-up other than those blade clamps and the more user friendly angle adjustment..

I've heard of a few that had issues with the customer support of the Pegas saw and that is where Ray came in and saved them by now providing support for the Pegas saw as well. 3 years ago, I was facing the exact same dilemma and Opted for the Seyco. I've had my Seyco saw for 2 1/2 year now and have not regretted it one bit! And I have the support to back the saw for many years to come! 

1 hour ago, poupster2 said:

I've heard of a few that had issues with the customer support of the Pegas saw and that is where Ray came in and saved them by now providing support for the Pegas saw as well. 3 years ago, I was facing the exact same dilemma and Opted for the Seyco. I've had my Seyco saw for 2 1/2 year now and have not regretted it one bit! And I have the support to back the saw for many years to come! 

As a Pegas dealer, yes, Seyco does service Pegas scroll saws. but does not have access to Pegas parts.  This is a consideration if the saw is under warrantee.

I have an EX21 and an older Hawk 220. I used an AMT made in Taiwan castiron saw for years until I saw someone change the blades on an EX21 and decided I had to have one.

I have hands-on experience with Ray at Seyco and can't recommend him enough. The support is the best.

I want to replace my old backup Hawk saw with one that works the same way as my EX21 so that when I pull it out and dust it off, I don't have to spend a day relearning how to use it. I have your exact problem; choosing between the Seco and Pegas saws.

I have one of the first Seyco saws to hit the market. It has been a good saw and no real issues. It is my main saw. I have put the Pegas blade clamps on it. When hubby got me my Seyco, the Pegas was not yet out so I didn’t have the  dilemma of choosing. 🙂 the limitation on the angle adjustment is not a big concern for me because I have an older Excalibur as a backup saw that I would use for any angle cuts I wanted to make. That older Excalibur was bought used from Seyco as well. So I am quite familiar with Ray and his service and agree, he has been great. My main concern is what happens with the Seyco and service when Ray retires. All that said, if I was in the market to get a new saw, I’d probably look long and hard at the Pegas saw. I don’t think you can go wrong with either saw. Good luck in your decision.

2 hours ago, Pompeio said:

Sorry but my post above got interrupted.  My decision was made for me as yesterday afternoon I found a two year old unit for less than half the price of a new one.  I met with the gentleman this morning and am now the owner of a mint condition Pegas 21.  I am a happy camper!

Congrats on your "win". You'll love that saw.