very simplistic fence for scroll saw

zimmerstutzen

I am primarily a turner, but I make a lot of ornaments for charity and use the scroll saw in the process.   I need to cut some silhouettes of figures (whales, shakes, flip flops, boats, etc)  and also the biggest pain was cutting 1/4 inch and under dowels to equal length without splintering them.   The table  saw was simply out of the question for such little work, same for the band saw.  I tried measuring and marking the dowels and cutting them on the scroll saw but got too many differing lengths that were a pain to even out.  So I came up with a idea.  I used two HF shop spring clamps and a new paint mixing stick to make a fence on the right side of the table.   I measured the distance from the saw blade to the paint stick to get 2.5 inches and then proceeded to cut a 36 inch 1/4 inch dowel into 2.5 inch sections.  I went slow through the blade and kept splintering edges to a very bare minimum and was happy when I stood them on end and all but the last were  dead even in length. 

Line Material property Art Wind chime Magenta 

Product Drinkware Font Toilet Body jewelry

Edited by zimmerstutzen

• zimmerstutzen changed the title to very simplistic fence for scroll saw