Dewalt Scroll saw won’t start

Jeff355

I’m having the age old problem of getting my Dewalt scroll saw to start. It’s less that 6 months old. I’ve already tried taking the air compressor to the on/off switch and even went so far as to replace. It’s still needs a pretty firm nudge to get started and often refuses to start. Help before I decide to mail if back to get serviced. 

Welcome to the village!!

So you're saying that the saw runs IF you sort of help it along but runs fine once you give it some help?

Mine used to do that in cold weather.. at the time I had a unheated shop and live in Michigan where temps regularly around 25F during the day time.. However I'd start having this issue at around 40F.. It got to where in the cold winter I would take a small heater and place it at the back of the saw for a few minutes to sort of warm up the motor.. Then it was fine for the rest of the day.. Might be something to consider if this started as temps come down if you live in a cool climate area.. 

Also have you checked the motor brushes? Maybe a possibility there.. 

The thing with sending it back is if it's due to cold temps the new one will likely be the same way.. I've seen a lot of topics about that issue in the cold months.. That being said, mine always ran fine after a few  minutes of cutting.. so if yours is doing it every time you try to use it even after running it for 15 -20 minutes then you probably should return it if you can. 

IF it's not cold where you are it very well could be a bad bearing or something making it hard for the saw to get started.. 

14 hours ago, kmmcrafts said:

The thing with sending it back is if it's due to cold temps the new one will likely be the same way.. I've seen a lot of topics about that issue in the cold months.. That being said, mine always ran fine after a few  minutes of cutting.. so if yours is doing it every time you try to use it even after running it for 15 -20 minutes then you probably should return it if you can. 

IF it's not cold where you are it very well could be a bad bearing or something making it hard for the saw to get started.. 

it’s still under warranty so if I send it back to you think they’ll fix it?

4 hours ago, Jeff355 said:

it’s still under warranty so if I send it back to you think they’ll fix it?

Yeah they'll probably repair or replace it, Some of the service places are good and some not so much so it'd depend on which center it goes to.. It could be a long wait though.. I've seen people saying several weeks before they got it back. 

I would talk to Home Depot and see if they'll exchange it first.. 

4 hours ago, Jeff355 said:

I did buy it from Home Depot. However I reached out to Dewalt and they want me to ship it back to them to get serviced. 

Home Depot has a return policy. I'd take it right to them and let them ship it and handle the problem. They'll probably just exchange it or refund your money. They are very good about that.