Painting Puzzle Pieces

John B

This is the method I use to paint my Stand up Puzzle pieces. It may come in handy to somebody sometime.

I have lengths of  4mm steel rod, cut at about 100mm (4").  I drill a hole into the puzzle piece where it wont be seen, insert the rod and by holding it, I can easily paint all around the piece. Then place it in a hole on a board to dry.
If I'm doing a lot my hand get a bit tired holding onto the thin rod, so I use Vice grips. Makes it easy.
I also use this method when spraying small items.

painting puzzles 01.jpg

painting puzzles 02.jpg

painting puzzles 03.jpg

Interesting! Now I guess if I ever paint puzzles I'll need some metal rod.  Do you cut with a larger blade than for puzzles that are not painted? Seems like paint would fill in the tiny already tight slot that the puzzles fit into.. I've only recently started "painting" wood things.. its been a learning experience from painting cars going to wood crafts.. LOL

24 minutes ago, kmmcrafts said:

Interesting! Now I guess if I ever paint puzzles I'll need some metal rod.  Do you cut with a larger blade than for puzzles that are not painted? Seems like paint would fill in the tiny already tight slot that the puzzles fit into.. I've only recently started "painting" wood things.. its been a learning experience from painting cars going to wood crafts.. LOL

I've wondered the same thing. 

I have been doing something similar for years with dowels. I started using pointed dowels to finish wheels and soon discovered many uses for these.

I have been doing something similar for years with dowels. I started using pointed dowels to finish wheels and soon discovered many uses for these.

1178136982_20190825085954ToymakersShopSpeedyWheels.thumb.jpg.c53ed1c079a4d0d6e8aa28152846dd8f.jpg

1479538407_20160124165829ToymakersShopHandmadeWoodenToyCarsTrucksBugTractorTrailerTruckMinivanPinkDryingRack.thumb.jpg.a3b9da08082da107988b35d1239f43af.jpg

412152780_20161218154823ToymakersShopPartsHoldingJigPaintedAxelPegsMetallicBlueGreenPurpleRedGoldSilver.thumb.jpg.7e403092f4b1ed51a35f31f86f38c131.jpg

1531646846_20171230162657443ToymakersShop.thumb.jpg.d62884bde90b2410b57233f8a1a04ac6.jpg

1 hour ago, kmmcrafts said:

Do you cut with a larger blade than for puzzles that are not painted? Seems like paint would fill in the tiny already tight slot that the puzzles fit into..

Kevin, I cut these with a #5 as they are kiddies puzzles so need to fit easily.
The trick with painting the surfaces that come together is not to apply the paint thickly and to ensure that there is no build up on the edges.
I did run into that problem once when cutting a rather intricate design and used a #3, it made some bits a little tight, but working them in and out a few times loosened everything up. Another factor is the bloom, I knock this back with 220 paper and only second coat the exterior.

1 hour ago, BadBob said:

I have been doing something similar for years with dowels. I started using pointed dowels to finish wheels and soon discovered many uses for these

I also use dowels Bob,, When I mad name trains I would place all of the letters on dowels to spray. I have boards piled up with holes for various sizes :)

I must post a pic of my wheel painting machine one day.

10 hours ago, barb.j.enders said:

John,  do you then put a dab of paint in the hole to hide it a bit?

No Barb, It is hidden until the puzzle is taken apart. I also try and put the hole in the thickest, unseen place so as not to weaken the puzzle.

Edited by John B