Are you folks freehand drawing jigsaw puzzle interlocking cut lines?

Tallbald

I find myself asking if the repeating patterns I see on most commercial puzzles are some sort of standardized pattern everyone but me knows about and uses, or are there bunches and bunches of talented crafters that freehand these patterns for themselves with each creation? And, should I/could I freehand a page of the interlocking piece lines and then simply overlay that on puzzles of my own design after outlining the overall piece?

Inquiring minds want to know.

Thank you. Don

I vary my approach, Some times I cut freehand and cut various shapes and whimsies, other times  (Especially if there are a lot of pieces) I use a pattern.  You really only need to do a search for "Jigsaw Puzzle Templates" and there are plenty. Just grab the one with the most pieces then use how many pieces you need for your puzzles. I print it on thin card, tape the card to the front of the puzzles and away I go. You can either shrink or enlarge the pattern or just use a part of it, once again shrinking or enlarging that part.
jigsaw-puzzle-vector-seamless-pattern-bl

Edited by John B

If I’m not cutting it along the color lines of the picture I cover the picture with shelf liner and draw a grid on it to keep my rows & columns straight.  Either horizontally/vertically or on a diagonal depending on how many pieces and how difficult I want it to be.  Then it’s freehand cutting the locks.  An interesting twist to the diagonal grid is that all the outside pieces are triangles that don’t interconnect except in the corners.