New Drill Press

kmmcrafts

4 hours ago, Wichman said:

I have two of the mini chucks, got the second one when the first had too much wobble, then I saw a post, could have been here, that stated you could rotate the faces to eliminate the wobble. Tried it and viola one of the three faces has no wobble, this is with a #72 drill bit ( .025" ) , next is too mark the drill press chuck and the mini chuck with the correct alignment.

Yeah that was me that suggested rotating the faces and mark the chuck.. I discovered that back in 2010 or so with my old Delta Press that I'm now replacing with this WEN I just bought (Hopefully anyway).. Anyway... I don't really understand why that makes a difference but it does work for some of us by rotating and finding that sweet spot balance where the mini chuck doesn't wobble.. 

4 hours ago, Wichman said:

To reduce the chance of burning I drill the depth in quarters. Same thing with the drill press, if you ramp up the speed to get a clean exit, there is a tendency to burn, so drill a 1/4" pull up, and so on.

This method is the way I always drill holes. Raising the bit will allow the chips to clear, which reduces friction and thus reduces burning. Sharp-quality bits are also beneficial.

I have watched many woodworkers drill holes in YouTube videos. Most of them force the bit through the wood. I make lots of toys. Toys can have holes that are part of the design, and tearout on the back side can send the toy to the scrap heap. I have become quite good at drilling holes with little or no tearout.

5 hours ago, BadBob said:

This method is the way I always drill holes. Raising the bit will allow the chips to clear, which reduces friction and thus reduces burning. Sharp-quality bits are also beneficial.

I have watched many woodworkers drill holes in YouTube videos. Most of them force the bit through the wood. I make lots of toys. Toys can have holes that are part of the design, and tearout on the back side can send the toy to the scrap heap. I have become quite good at drilling holes with little or no tearout.

Bob,

I discovered how to make auxiliary tables for my drill press ( I'll explain in a new thread ) , so I have one that is a piece of scrap 3/4 plywood, when I've worn out the current hole I just move the table a mite to get a fresh surface.

Edited by Wichman