Seyco Dust Vacuum Update (Took It Apart)

kmmcrafts

Okay, so after removing the vac from my saw mount I noticed a bad rattle like something came apart, and it did. This is how I found it. The fan blade lock nut had came off and the blade was just sitting there. It made some weird noise before quitting. I plugged it in to see if it’d turn on but I think the motor is fried. 

Not sure if contacting Ray two years later would be beneficial but just my opinion that shouldn’t just fall apart like that. Also could be why I’ve always felt the suction was too weak for putting in a T for table top suction. I imagine this has been freewheeling since it was new and never really tightened down.

E271E063-2E4F-4924-A2C5-0E6D4833CC45.jpeg

Just sent Seyco an email about it, I also looked up in my bookkeeping to find my receipt of when it was purchased. ( June 29,2020 ).. Highly doubt they'll replace it as I don't even know what / if it has any kind of warranty. Looking at the lock-nut the plastic portion shows me that it had never been tighten down as no thread marks etc. on the plastic portion of the lock-nut. Hoping they'll make a good deal on a replacement vacuum at a minimum send me a replacement motor or something but being over two years I'm not expecting much.. 

3 hours ago, barb.j.enders said:

Now that you have done that, I should take mine apart. Not that it is making any noise. I tried putting in a "t" after talking with Ray but it never worked.  

While it only has a few screws to get it apart.. It doesn't come out of the vacuum body very easy.. I'd probably just leave it if it's not broke.

Does the shaft turn in the body? If not, it's likely a seized bearing. The fan blade coming off is likely because of the sudden stop. The inertia of the blade unscrewed the nut and freed the blade from the shaft.

I once built an electronic brake for my table saw motor. The first time that I used the braking function, the motor stopped so suddenly that the blade nut unscrewed, and the blade was wobbling about in the table slot. That was 4 table saws ago. I now just let my present Unisaw coast to a stop.

If you can find the seized bearing part number and get it off the shaft, replacement might be just a few bucks. No reason to replace the whole vacuum for just a bad bearing, if it's removeable, but I would replace both while it's apart.

Charley