Drill press tables

Wichman

I have a drill press that has the older style round table with slots cut into the table. I wanted a better way to attach jigs and such. The original table attaches to the DP with a round piece that is clamped on the table support. I removed the table and found that the round piece is slightly smaller than a standard plumping size. I bought several floor flanges of the appropriate size along with plumbing nipples to match, I used my 1 x 30 belt sander with an 80 grit belt ( heavy leather gloves are a must ) to reduce the diameter of the nipple so that it fits the DP's clamp. I sanded the top of the flanges to make a shoulder that rests on the table support clamp, to ensure the alignment is maintained

I now have:

1. the original table

2. the plywood table ( backing surface for drilling fretwork, I also use this for positioning jigs for repeatable holes )

3. a cross slide vice permanently mounted to it's own table ( I use this to accurately drill holes for the hinge pins in the double lidded fretwork basket that I make, 1/8" hole in 5/16 thick piece, just no room for error ).

4. A HF drill press table on it's own support. 

BadBob, to go off of yours, I built a DP Table from plans from WoodSmith plans.  It uses a pivoting fence, and stays put.  It took me only a couple of hours to make it (not including glue drying time) and woks great.  I think the pivoting fence is a better idea because you only have one side that moves and holds in place a bit stronger due to that pivot.  Might be worth checking out.  They have a YouTube video on making this table as well as free plans on their website

I am happy with how the table turned out and I cut 4 or 5 extra inserts for it since I had some extra 1/4" hardboard left over from this project.

20221020_165720.thumb.jpg.87a48302ca2adfbe7f2ab369ca982892.jpg

20221020_165745.thumb.jpg.3a90f51839f7b3a3443e7848df2aec5a.jpg

Dan

23 hours ago, DRugerH said:

BadBob, to go off of yours, I built a DP Table from plans from WoodSmith plans.  It uses a pivoting fence, and stays put.  It took me only a couple of hours to make it (not including glue drying time) and woks great.  I think the pivoting fence is a better idea because you only have one side that moves and holds in place a bit stronger due to that pivot.  Might be worth checking out.  They have a YouTube video on making this table as well as free plans on their website

I am happy with how the table turned out and I cut 4 or 5 extra inserts for it since I had some extra 1/4" hardboard left over from this project.

20221020_165720.thumb.jpg.87a48302ca2adfbe7f2ab369ca982892.jpg

20221020_165745.thumb.jpg.3a90f51839f7b3a3443e7848df2aec5a.jpg

Dan

I like this idea, but I never use the fence on my drill press, so it stays to the back all the time of the table, and it is only there to keep stuff from falling off the back. My table came with the drill press and sat unused for two or more years until I decided to use it or get rid of it. I kept it because I liked having disposable squares.