Chess set

Jaguarguy

Great set... One project I hope to do yet before I meet the big scroller in the sky... I want to try to scroll the light pieces with artifical Ivory. Not sure that is what it is called.  I use to turn in,, not sure how it will scroll.

Edited by Scrappile

Here is the first chess set I started last month - I'm still working on finishing it but getting close.  The light colored wood is spalted ash that I found at Home Depot - it was a 6' tree spike that I paid $2 for.  The dark set is mahogany.  The board is cherry mixed with some figured pallet board wood (not sure what it is).  The finish is tung oil. The frame is ambrosia maple.

1142604828_JoshsChessSet5.thumb.jpg.3c943c8e8b5079f0b0915c695facd45b.jpg1717527279_JoshsChessSet1.thumb.jpg.32a5374b3d317f991667f7911bd4efca.jpg1766810453_JoshsChessSet2.thumb.jpg.40623924f869b23828bbe9a3f9cdbe1e.jpg 

Edited by Jaguarguy

9 hours ago, Shinydirt said:

It looks great. 

How much time did it take to make all the pieces?

Are they weighted?

How much blade did you used up in the process?

What kind of blades did you used?

It looks like that the bases of all the figures are the same size. Are they?

Sorry for all the question, I'm new to this.

Thanks!  Here's some answers to your Questions:

Each piece averaged about 40 minutes to cut.  I made a simple little jig to cut them (I'll see if I can find the plan).  Sanding the large ones is TBD

I did not weight them - though weighting looked easy enough.  Drill hole in bottom and fill with something like buckshot.

For the large ones I cut 2 pieces per blade because the blanks I used were 1.5" for large ones and 1" for small pieces.  You can use the "discarded" blades for small stock afterwards.

The blades I used were Flying Dutchman #7 Polar blades (.047w - .017t - 14 tpi).  They were purchased from "The Wooden Teddy Bear"

The bases were  the same size for all pieces in the respective set.  

The pattern came from the book "Making Wooden Chess Sets" by Jim Kape.  I picked up a brand new copy for under $20 from thrift book.com.

I'm fairly new as well - about a year of woodworking.

Good Luck!

Edited by Jaguarguy

46 minutes ago, OCtoolguy said:

I love what you have done. Beautiful work. I would love to try one but I can't seem to cut anything square on 4 sides with regularity. I have a fairly well-tuned Dewalt jobsite saw but I'm always off by a tiny bit. Can you offer any advice on how you make all those squares for the boards? 

You cut four strips of each wood into 2"x 16" strips.  I ran them through my drum sander on end to get the all the same size.  You glue the strips using alternating colors.  After 24 hours, you cut 2" strips across the alternating strips so you have new strips that are now light, dark, light, dark.  Flip every other strip upside down, reglue and you'll have basic chess board.  

Here's a video that covers the basics

Edited by Jaguarguy

11 hours ago, Shinydirt said:

It looks great. 

How much time did it take to make all the pieces?

Are they weighted?

How much blade did you used up in the process?

What kind of blades did you used?

It looks like that the bases of all the figures are the same size. Are they?

Sorry for all the question, I'm new to this.

Here's the link to one jig from Steve Good.

LINK CORRECTED!!!

http://www.stevedgood.com/3djig.pdf

Here's a couple of pics of the one I built - one extra screw in it supposed to hold the wood better.

Scroll Saw Jig 1.jpg

Scroll Saw Jig 2.jpg

Edited by Jaguarguy