Grabbed a Dewalt DW788 for $180 in a Pawn shop

markee

Lucked out today snagged a nice DW-788 in a local pawn shop they had it listed for $250 I offered $150 cash and we settled on $180 :)

Its marked Type 1 Canada 97-25-80 What does that mean ? Does that mean its made in 97 ?

Anyways the machine itself is in great shape working perfectly

the only defects it has are on the table the blade opening is chopped up a little and it has this strange pitting like stain ?

When i looked at it in the pawn shop i thought its just surface rust or even just a spill that would be easily cleaned up but i was wrong what ever spilled on it ate into the iron I tried sanding it hit it with a palm sander first that didn't help at all then I tried hitting a small area with angle grinder and a wire buffer pad on it that kind of cleaned out some of the corrosion leaving a small gouge maybe as deep as a piece of paper or so as you can see in the bottom picture front part

I thought that might be making it worse so i stopped

The pitting is like some kind of chemical acid ate into it

It really don't affect the operation of the unit but I'd love to restore it any ideas what i can do ?

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

Nice score! I'm not sure what the pitting would be. I'm guessing someone put a paint can on it and left it for a few years and it rusted. Then somebody removed the rust, leaving behind the pitting.

I don't think it'll affect your cutting at all. If it does, you can add a piece of plywood to the top (which will double as a zero clearance insert/top).

Type 1 means it was made in Canada and from what i have read they had less mfg. probs I have a type 1 with an R on the model # meaning it was reconditioned,I paid $200 to a private owner was in like new condition and have had no problems at all with it.A good thing to do is cover the switch with a clear plastic or tape as they are prone to get saw dust in the switch causing a bad electrical contact,A foot switch is a great addition to the saw.

• 3 weeks later...

not sure if you will read this, i am new on the sight. was reading messages to learn stuff when i cam accross yours. Just a sugestion but have you thought of using metal patch stuff like I used on my gas tank? As far as I know it can be used really small areas and gets real hard. and smooth it you use water on your hand when you apply it....?