Segmented Snowman

flarud

Nice work. I have one I cut as one piece and then hand carved. Was going to paint, haven’t gotten there yet so was waiting to post. 🤫☺️ was thinking of cutting one with segmentation as Steve designed or as true Intarsia. So many ideas, so little time. Hopefully mine look as cute as yours and Barb’s if I ever get there. 😏

9 hours ago, wombatie said:

Love it.  I may have to find that pattern for next year.

Marg

Marg - here is direct link to the pattern. 
https://www.stevedgood.com/snowmanseg.pdf

On 12/8/2022 at 8:35 AM, barb.j.enders said:

Great job.  I love that you actually used buttons.  How did you do the eyes?

I had some Oak plugs that I made years ago.. I sliced them in half and then shaped using a sander,,, and yes,, I lost a little bit of finger skin from the sander.  Next time I will use pliers to hold the little pieces!  LOL 

I cut one out last night and actually cut out the black circles on the stomach.  I'll see how it turns out, using the buttons is definitely faster though. 

Thanks for cutting yours and reminding me that I had printed patterns a while back to cut. 

Edited by flarud

7 hours ago, meflick said:

Nice work. I have one I cut as one piece and then hand carved. Was going to paint, haven’t gotten there yet so was waiting to post. 🤫☺️ was thinking of cutting one with segmentation as Steve designed or as true Intarsia. So many ideas, so little time. Hopefully mine look as cute as yours and Barb’s if I ever get there. 😏

Marg - here is direct link to the pattern. 
https://www.stevedgood.com/snowmanseg.pdf

I have been wanting to do some Intarsia, have never tried it yet.  I figured that doing this in Segmentation is a good start and good practice.  I actually visited JGR's shop about a year and a half ago,, words can't describe what she has hanging on her walls!

1 hour ago, flarud said:

I have been wanting to do some Intarsia, have never tried it yet.  I figured that doing this in Segmentation is a good start and good practice.  I actually visited JGR's shop about a year and a half ago,, words can't describe what she has hanging on her walls!

You are correct about Judy's shop.  Amazing work throughout from years of working and doing Intarsia and patterns. I only live about 30-40 minutes away from her and have been fortunate to be able to go and take her classes - that is actually when I started - I took her beginner class to learn.  You are right, segmentation is a good way to start to learn about cutting the pieces and shaping.

13 minutes ago, meflick said:

You are correct about Judy's shop.  Amazing work throughout from years of working and doing Intarsia and patterns. I only live about 30-40 minutes away from her and have been fortunate to be able to go and take her classes - that is actually when I started - I took her beginner class to learn.  You are right, segmentation is a good way to start to learn about cutting the pieces and shaping.

We get up to that area about once a year.  Usually Maggie Valley area, then we mosey over to Sevierville area and usually find ourselves in PF and Gat. I am not ruling out retiring in that area.