Lessons "learned" the hard way for those just getting started in scrolling

Blaughn

44 minutes ago, barb.j.enders said:

I have been sanding the wood to 220 before applying the pattern.  Makes final finishing easier.

Be patient.  It is not a race.

Don't be overly critical - only you see the "flaws".  No one else does.  

Yup.  220 sandpaper with no noticeable indents makes for far easier finishing!

"First good - then fast." is especially true for scrolling.

Unfortunately, or really fortunately in the category  "resources" in the blue line at the top of the forums, there is a drop down titled "how to Articles" that has most the answers and tips. The unfortunate part is new members do not know to look there.  Lots of info there for beginners.  I wish there was a method to tell the new members.

1 hour ago, Scrappile said:

Unfortunately, or really fortunately in the category  "resources" in the blue line at the top of the forums, there is a drop down titled "how to Articles" that has most the answers and tips. The unfortunate part is new members do not know to look there.  Lots of info there for beginners.  I wish there was a method to tell the new members.

You mean, something like this? :

"Welcome to the Village, newcomer, be sure to check out the resources tab, lots of good info there:     https://www.scrollsawvillage.com/articles/

:)

On 12/16/2022 at 5:21 AM, barb.j.enders said:

I have been sanding the wood to 220 before applying the pattern.  Makes final finishing easier.

Be patient.  It is not a race.

Don't be overly critical - only you see the "flaws".  No one else does.  

My biggest problem. I am my worst enemy. I HATE the finishing process due to my ignorance. 

3 hours ago, Scrappile said:

Maybe a "sticky header" on the Introduction page by Travis would help.

The one thing new scrollers need is patience.  It takes time and experience and failures.  You just need to keep trying different things.  You are going to fail and just accept that.  For me, I love making things and the process of making them.  

I do not think there are short cuts just practice..practice and practice.

17 minutes ago, Sycamore67 said:

The one thing new scrollers need is patience.  It takes time and experience and failures.  You just need to keep trying different things.  You are going to fail and just accept that.  For me, I love making things and the process of making them.  

Sometimes the "shortcut" is to take a break or put the project away until morning. Trying to "get er done" leads to mistakes and redoing a piece that took hours to get cut.

1 hour ago, Wichman said:

Sometimes the "shortcut" is to take a break or put the project away until morning. Trying to "get er done" leads to mistakes and redoing a piece that took hours to get cut.

Sage advice.  "There's never enough time to do it right but there is always time to do it over......"  

Been Scrolling over 20 years.  This is a Hole reply.  I did use to

drill all holes first.  Now I do not.  I find Sectioning off the Pattern

and only drill them holes.  Like One Pattern and say 4 different little parts.  Gives me a break from sitting behind the saw.  Anyway this is my 13 cents worth and I am sticking to it.  Hehe:+}

Okay, I will post one of my dumbest mistakes.  I wanted to compose a plaque using Micah 6:8.  I messed with it and messed with it until I had a layout that "felt" balanced.  Having "accomplished" the balance I printed the design, applied it to some wonderful cherry and cut away.  I can't tell you how long this took to cut but rest assured it was a long undertaking.  When I removed the pattern and surveyed my work my heart sank.  I was so focused on the overall balance I did not notice the additional space between the words love and mercy.  Once you see it you cannot "un-see it".

I keep this piece handy to remind myself that you have to slow down and see detail at multiple levels.  Overall balance is important but so are the small details.  I show the final design also to redeem myself.

1632502287_Lookbeforeyoucut.thumb.jpg.0f5c2870fd7fc6e379e874e3d66843b0.jpgMicah6_8.thumb.jpg.122fdb262401d948d6615db3a301cd09.jpg

52 minutes ago, Blaughn said:

Okay, I will post one of my dumbest mistakes.  I wanted to compose a plaque using Micah 6:8.  I messed with it and messed with it until I had a layout that "felt" balanced.  Having "accomplished" the balance I printed the design, applied it to some wonderful cherry and cut away.  I can't tell you how long this took to cut but rest assured it was a long undertaking.  When I removed the pattern and surveyed my work my heart sank.  I was so focused on the overall balance I did not notice the additional space between the words love and mercy.  Once you see it you cannot "un-see it".

I keep this piece handy to remind myself that you have to slow down and see detail at multiple levels.  Overall balance is important but so are the small details.  I show the final design also to redeem myself.

Now that's something I would do... and have done!

Edited by JimMarco
Can't get it right

On 12/17/2022 at 7:59 PM, Sycamore67 said:

How true. Like playing an instrument, and soon you and your machine become as one ... in tune making beautiful music, but in this case, beautiful projects.

Edited by Ron Johnson