Say toy crafters. Do you make or buy your toy wheels?

Tallbald

I'm equipped to make wheels if needed, with lathe, drill press etc. Some things are just tedious and repetitive. Amazon wooden toy wheel prices are to me, rather high for what I'd be buying. I'd considered an afternoon of turning, drilling, facing and such doing a run of maybe 20 wheels of the same size. Setting up my equipment for the dreaded repetitive operations. But as a production shipyard toolmaker and factory toolmaker I got pretty tired of batch production.

What are many here doing please? I'd like to know where I am on the crafting spectrum.

Thanks as always. 

Don

I haven't bought wheels in a while but bought a bunch when I did.  I now have enough that I should never have to make the smaller sizes anymore.  I will make larger wheels or custom wheels if needed, since there are not many to make.  By the time you consider the time required to make them, you are probably ahead of the game to buy ready made wheels.

Tom

I buy most of my wheels in large lots if I use as many as 1000 at a time. Some of my toys use 18 wheels and it doesn't take long to go through a 1000 wheels. At one time, I made all of my wheels. Now, I only make them when I am going for a particular look or commercially made wheels are not available for the project.

I usually batch them out when I make wheels, making many more than I need. I am very picky when making wheels; having them all perfectly round and exactly the same size is important to me. I have an extensive collection of hole saws I purchased explicitly for cutting wheels. I rarely use the hole saws anymore, finding cutting them with the scroll saw to be more convenient, versatile, and faster.

When I purchase wheels I buy them from Craft Parts/Woodworks Ltd.

1517548079_20170510195809ToymakersShopHandmadeToyTruckTractorTrailerVan18WheelsBabyBlue.thumb.jpg.5cd6bfd02c32f78860807bfc54e90e02.jpg

20160417 205922 Toymakers Shop Handmade Wooden Car Parts Norm Marshall Model T Steering Wheels.jpg

20160417 211434 Toymakers Shop Handmade Wooden Car Parts Norm Marshall Model T Wheels.jpg

20160417 212221 Toymakers Shop Handmade Wooden Car Parts Norm Marshall Model T Wheels Fenders.jpg

I make slightly larger wheels, mostly because I can't get the sizes I need.  For the smaller stuff, I have a 4  box of wooden supplies from a factory that mostly made furniture but sometimes made lamps and toys.   I got a cases of 1.25 inch ash dowels that I use for various things.  If I need wheels that size, I just cut a few slices off a dowel and drill them on the lathe.   Shop clean up takes much longer than the 10 minutes to make 2 dozen wheels,  When I make a component part for something, I try to make as many as I will need for the year and keep them in storage trays of parts for those items.   

Thanks to all for the replies, and the food for my thought! Having several wonderful books on toymaking now to enjoy studying, I believe that I will use the time I have as a retired old bald fat man to make my own wheels for now. I watched a few videos about sharpening my Forstner bits, hole saws and such. I believe I can come up with a semi-production mode in our little shop to make a dozen and a half or so finished wheels for the toys I have in mind. I like the skilled fella on A Cut Above and his method for making Formula One race car wheels from walnut. Formula One race car tires on a chomping alligator anyone?

Thanks again everyone. 

Don

I purchase my wheels and toy accessories in large lots. Like some I will make my own if size is not available. Manufactured wheels seem to add that special look and finish and making 100 or more I find to be too tedious. I've had no problem capturing the extras cost of the wheels. Thank you. Ron

I used to make mine, but found that the amount of time spent on making decent looking wheels, could be better spent elsewhere.
I started purchasing them by the 100's. These prices make it much more profitable to purchase. I also bought axles (Pegs) and lot's of other bits and pieces.
https://www.craftparts.com/product-category/toy-wheels/wood-toy-wheels/

Sorry to be late to the conversation but a wood working club I used to belong to use about 2,000 wheels a year for the Toys for Tots program we ran.  The wheels came from here.  We used wooden dowels for axles. We purchased what they called 2nds.  98% of the wheels were usable.

Casey's Wood Products, We at Casey's have it all - wood dowels, blocks, balls, toy wheels, cutouts, shaker pegs and more. Anything for your crafts or woodworking project we will have it in stock for immediate shipping. We do offer 1 or 2 day UPS shipping if you need your order in a hurry. You can call us at 1-800-452-2739 if you need a human in a hurry for a question or something. (caseyswood.com)