Rbi pics

Woodrush

9 hours ago, OCtoolguy said:

I didn't realize that a 220-3 had variable speed. As suggested, Bushton.com has all the info you need. You can also download an owner's manual. It looks like a clean saw.

It was a 1 owner saw that has been in storage for years since the owner passed. I traded a Bosch palm sander for it. I also thought the 220-3 were all belt drive.

I'm thinking the saw is from the 80's.. RBI as well as Bushton used to offer refurbishing and or trade ins and would refurbish or update a saw.. someone likely didn't like the 3 speed and up graded to a VS.. 

The fasco motors as I understand it had a issue with something in the VS controller or wiring which would cause power surges to the motor and eventually burning up the VS controller or motor itself.. they used to offer a motor upgrade to the new style motor that they currently use but I've heard they no longer are offering that? 

3 hours ago, kmmcrafts said:

I'm thinking the saw is from the 80's.. RBI as well as Bushton used to offer refurbishing and or trade ins and would refurbish or update a saw.. someone likely didn't like the 3 speed and up graded to a VS.. 

The fasco motors as I understand it had a issue with something in the VS controller or wiring which would cause power surges to the motor and eventually burning up the VS controller or motor itself.. they used to offer a motor upgrade to the new style motor that they currently use but I've heard they no longer are offering that? 

Motor is running great, but I broke the bottom plastic chuck holder.  Do they have an upgrade, I couldn't find anything 

6 minutes ago, Woodrush said:

Motor is running great, but I broke the bottom plastic chuck holder.  Do they have an upgrade, I couldn't find anything 

Not really aware of an upgrade.. the plastic ones are kind of pliable when new but they get brittle as they age. Someone mentioned a while back that they are made of spring steel now but when I bought one it was plastic. I'm sure it'd be fairly easy to make a metal one of some sort.. It's just to hold the blade chuck from taking off like a rocket when a blade breaks.. usually you end up on your hands and knees looking for the blade chuck, lol 

I assume you have the round blade chucks like this?  https://stores.bushtonhawkstore.com/lower-barrel-style-blade-holder/

If so then this is the only replacement that I see on the site and it's showing a plastic one in the picture. I bought my replacement about 6 years ago and it's still working fine.. so even if you had to replace the plastic one every couple years the price for the part is cheap enough.. https://stores.bushtonhawkstore.com/lower-barrel-style-blade-holder/

14 hours ago, kmmcrafts said:

It's just to hold the blade chuck from taking off like a rocket when a blade breaks.. usually you end up on your hands and knees looking for the blade chuck, lol 

I have blade holder that has gone missing. The blade snapped and it vanished into the shop. It is good to have extras.

3 hours ago, BadBob said:

I have blade holder that has gone missing. The blade snapped and it vanished into the shop. It is good to have extras.

Extra blade holders is a big plus, also not having extras when shopping for a saw brings up a good bargaining point.. I've showed sellers the price of new extra ones and mentioned how it affects the saws price.. If looking at a saw that has just one holder and they asking $300 and then finding another saw that has 5 holders and the same asking price.. Many times you can get $50 - 100 knocked off the price when bringing these up to the seller. Most sellers are from people that know nothing about the saw.. was dads old saw and he past away and we see they sell new ones for X so this is how we ask for X.. educate them and many times you can get a better deal. 

My first Hawk I bought had only one holder and it had a huge blade in it.. not even sure how it fit into the hole in the holder, LOL.. I didn't know much about Hawks at the time and I had read that you had to have different sized holders for different sized blades.. I mixed up what I read on Hegners as they are sort of that way.. anyway I bargained with them showing the blade I brought with me and the blade they had in the saw.. said I couldn't even try the saw out because those blade holders won't work for my blades and that I'd have to buy $150 worth of holders so I could even use the saw.. Got him down from $250 - 100 on price.. then I realized I could actually use the holder that they had after I got home, LOL.. I guess it got me a better deal but it wasn't my intention to use that bargaining method both me and the seller was naive of the saw.. LOL Was a good thing though because after getting the saw and realizing how much was really wrong with it I ended up having to spend a good $250 to get parts and extra holders to make it work right and user friendly for me.