foot feed

crash landing

Good morning folks,

Yesterday I was cutting out some Christmas ornaments. Thank you, Steve Good for the patterns. My lovely wife came out to the shop said, "That really looks like fun, but you know how I am about power tools?" I said to her that since you use a sewing machine the two are very similar in operation and safety. You would not run you fingers through the needle would you?

She replied that although similar, there is no foot feed. So my question is, are there foot feed attachments for scroll saws. And are they variable speed, just on and off and will they fit my Dewalt?

Happy Holidays,,

crash

Don't ask me how i know this.. but on a sewing machine, the fabric is fed through it by the machine. It sets the speed, using a set of "teeth" that stick above the base where the needle goes up and down, and you do not have your fingers near the needed because you are not pulling or pushing the fabric. I believe that is the foot feed she is talking about. The hold down that keeps the fabric pressed against the moving parts that feed the fabric is called the foot. Hence her "foot feed" in my best guess.

Hey..it's cheaper to sew my own sand bags for shooting rests out of old jeans that buy them.

crash,

Early on in my scroll sawing days I learned about the foot switch. It was the best idea I had ran across. At the time

Sears had two, 1 15 amp & 1 20 amp. I bought the 20 amp and use it on other tools in my shop. If anything goes

wrong you just lift your foot and everything stops. Nice to have that peace of mind.

Regards, Joey

I have two portable sewing machines and both have foot feeds just like we use with our scroll saws. Both starts the sewing machine running and controls the speed. I have a press on/release off foot pedal I also got at Harbor Freight. My scroll saw has a speed control as well. Once you use a foot switch you won't be caught scrolling without it!