Another newbie question

Gene Howe

I will start by saying it depends on several factors.  Wood type, length, condition, and how you intend to finish the shapes.  Other issues that could be created by ripping into thinner pieces might release internal stresses which can cause warpage or twisting.  

Edited by stoney

Absolutely, especially if you've already put the effort into re-sawing it.  Like Stoney said, there may be some yield.  Construction lumber can be prone to warping.  Let it set a while in a dry environment, with adequate airflow around the pieces, and see if it stays flat.  I probably wouldn't use it for delicate fretwork, but should get some decent stock for the simple animal shapes you're looking to cut.

Yes, it will work great for cutouts. 3/4-inch is better because they will stand up better.

I have made approximately 2000 animal cutouts over the years. It's an excellent way to use up small pieces of wood, and kids love them.

I learned to use a scroll saw cutting animal shapes.

Thank you all for your replies. The pieces are only 12" long. And, I've only cut one at 1/2. A 3/4 cut would yield one and, one not quite as thick but, usable. I've got 14 of those one footers. That's 28 pieces...if my math is right. Depending on the sizes of the patterns, I might get two or more animals per piece after resawing. Certainly enough to keep me occupied for awhile.

I agree with @barb.j.enders - compound cuts is what I would with them as well.

What are you using to resaw - bandsaw, table or other.

You could get a few more a std 2x4 is 1-1/2 inches by 3-1/2 inches. if cut it 3/4" widths, then 11/16th you should get 6 units per board - think I have that right.

NOTE and fyi: with the price of wood today, I no longer buy pre-cut sizes 1x1, 1x2. Instead I buy a 2x4 and cut it on my table saw. Saves me quite a bit of money and doesn't take that much time.