Hollow core doors as backing

new2woodwrk

There was a thread a few weeks ago (not sure where it is), that suggested using/cutting up hollow core doors to be used as backing for ss art.

I thought to myself since I was working on some non-puzzle artwork..."Hmm, self - let's try that" and I just happened to have an old hollow core door in my shed taking up valuable real estate!

So, I proceeded to break it down. I only cut a single section as a trial and here are the results

1. Breaking down the main section - easy peasy with a circular saw and edge guide
  2. Once broken down the 2 sections need to be separated - I used a utility knife. Thought of using a hack saw but since the middle of the door is cardboard, the knife worked ok.
  3. Problems became apparent at this stage, The cardboard is glued to the wood - very strong glue and getting the cardboard off proved very difficult. So much so that it needed to be sanded
  4. Sanding - with a hand sander and then a rotary sander started with 220 grit - nope, went down to 100 grit - a little better but the glue left "ant" trails on the wood

At this stage I have about 1 hour into the process and IMO this is far from worth the effort just to get a backing on a piece. If there was some quicker method of removing the glue trail, perhaps but otherwise, too time intensive.

However, there are 2 sides to each piece and one side has no glue trail. Problem for me is I do not want to sell an item that has a built in "mar" to it.

If anyone has any suggestions, please comment - to make this a viable option the process has to go faster and those glue trails need to disappear completely

Here then are pics:

door-3.thumb.jpg.a5e7c453c13515a4274d004cbaf06605.jpg

door-2.thumb.jpg.faded73501d26c0fc5b3c44db7c4f1c5.jpg

This is the artwork and the door piece

door-1.thumb.jpg.57487f3f1f2d97994bda8ee6b3b4b888.jpg

Separated Piece

door-5.thumb.jpg.2289d526315274f49bcfde59269a40ae.jpg

Cardboard removed - glue trails left behind

door-6.thumb.jpg.47220406e0b9b91d882450586e874178.jpg

I tried to 'stain" the glue trails out but it didn't work

door-7.thumb.jpg.3b9e4e768c8e0ffe80d406c10f9e755a.jpg

After this, I'm going back to the BB for backings

Thanks as always in advance

Edited by new2woodwrk

Have your tried heat?  maybe that would soften the glue enough to remove most.  If this works, go to your local Habitat for Humanity store.. I know ours has lots of those doors  for a few bucks apiece.  I tried them for scrolling once, but they chipped real bad.  Should work for backers though.

Now this I know about the modern hollow core doors are a bugger to separate as you have found out...If you can get your hands on the older hollow core doors they have no cardboard only real wood ( no pics sorry) there is the frame around the whole door and a wide block across the centre where the handle and or lock is. The glue that  is holding the ply on is only the old animal glue and separates easy with chisel or old wide blade knife... and the doors down here in NZ is/was 4mm Rimu ply...

Oh I cut the out side edge first then the centre piece then attack the two halves by pulling them apart and/or using the chisel/knife...

7 hours ago, dgman said:

Paint the bad side and use it for the back side of the backer board.

We tried staining, but the trails remained. Not a fan of painting my wood stuff yet - once I start I can imagine customers pestering me to start painting more stuff

7 hours ago, Scrappile said:

Have your tried heat?  maybe that would soften the glue enough to remove most.  If this works, go to your local Habitat for Humanity store.. I know ours has lots of those doors  for a few bucks apiece.  I tried them for scrolling once, but they chipped real bad.  Should work for backers though.

I did try a little heat, it just smeared the glue.

The problem remains that if I use a more powerful sander I can get the trails out, however using a sander such as a belt sander starts to take away too much wood and those wood pieces are already very thin

I love scrounging materials. If I had a door, I might try to salvage it. However, today at my local home depot, 4x8 foot luan panels cost $17. I would not go out of my way to get a door at that price.

I have never seen a hollow core door that was not luan plywood. If I found a door not made from luan, the story might be different.

3 hours ago, BadBob said:

I love scrounging materials. If I had a door, I might try to salvage it. However, today at my local home depot, 4x8 foot luan panels cost $17. I would not go out of my way to get a door at that price.

I have never seen a hollow core door that was not luan plywood. If I found a door not made from luan, the story might be different.

Back, a lifetime ago, when I was working in construction, you were able to get hollow core doors made from birch as well as luan.  I have no idea what is available these days.

They also sell door skins, for resurfacing hollow core doors. They are simply glued onto the existing damaged side of the door and are quite thin. Available in different wood surfaces too. I haven't needed any in a very long time, but Lowes has Luan listed for this in 36 X 80" panels for $18, though they are not in stock at this time.

Charley