Bowls Bowls Bowls

Tbow388

8 hours ago, Dak0ta52 said:

Wow. They turned out great. Is the first bowl made out of plywood? If so, where do you get plywood without voids?

The butcher block one is 1" (actual) thick Maple butcher block countertop. If you can imagine several hundred 1 inch pieces being glued up together sideways.

I took the piece that I had (4"x18"), planed it down to 3/4 cut 4" sections glued them together opposing and then cut away.

10 hours ago, Gonzo said:

I too like the kidney bowl. 
two questions. 
what angle are you using?
do you drill a hole at the same angle to start your cut? Or do you enter from the side and glue each piece back together?
ok so that was three questions..  Oops

Gonzo

The angle depends on the thickness of the wood And the thickness of the ring. I use a digital caliper and construction calculator to figure out the angle for each individual bowl. I then drill a hole at the same angle using a 3/64 drill bit. If you don’t have those things then there are some videos on YouTube I think. 

Edited by Tbow388

13 hours ago, Gonzo said:

I too like the kidney bowl. 
two questions. 
what angle are you using?
do you drill a hole at the same angle to start your cut? Or do you enter from the side and glue each piece back together?
ok so that was three questions..  Oops

Gonzo

I was thinking on the best way to explain it.

If you have a 3/4 thick piece of wood and the rings on the bowl pattern are 1/4 thick. you would make 2 lines on the side of your 3/4 board 1/4 inch apart. Set your saws agle to go diagonal between those two lines. Then you cut a small piece of and use a drill press to drill at the same angle or use the pieces that you cut off as a guide to hand drill your angle.

Does that make any sense? If not I will photo the process and post it on here.