Trying Something Different.

Scrappile

A few weeks ago, in order to finish a project I sat at the scroll saw far longer than normal.  I found that my right foot really got sore after a couple days.  I figured that it was from holding down the foot deadman switch for long periods of time.  I know the more intricate the area I am cutting the more tense I get and the harder I pushed on the foot pedal.  So after putting an on/off foot pedal on my vac, I thought why not try one for the saw. I know if I drop dead the saw will just keep running when I keel over, but, do I really care.  At that point in time I doubt if I worry about leaving with the saw running and will be more concerned about where I am going....!  So I got another switch to try out.  I will see how it goes, for the little I have used it doesn't seem to be much different, just a little getting use to.  And it looks neat on my saw.  I just need a steering wheel and a gear shift now!

0B1DBEBF-5EAB-4AC3-8CE5-77A18438113D.jpeg

Just a thought here, but I notice that your switches are hinged at the back, which would I suspect require constant pressure forward on your foot and leg. Mine is hinged at the front, so I can relax my leg and foot to keep the saw running until I lift my foot which turns the saw off.  Just a thought !

Chris

The first foot switch I bought was the click on click off instead of the deadman switch style.. Gotta say that took some time to get used to having to have my foot on the switch at all times to keep it going, 😂 I'd start the saw and let off and it'd mess me up... Then when I went back to the on/off switch I kept my foot on it and would let off once finished with the cut and the saw kept running and would have to click it one more time to turn it off.. after getting the first couple Hawks which had the deadman style come with the saw I finally sold that oddball switch because it kept messing me up..😂🤣😂  So I can imagine how this could go for you for a while... unless you have less muscle memory that me you're going to be doing this once in a while..

Edited by kmmcrafts

I use the WEN switch which is very low to the ground and doesn't require a lot of movement to activate and release. I also don't have mine on a riser. I don't get fatigued from the switch, in fact it's quite the opposite. I find myself stopping the saw after my foot relaxes too much. But... doesn't your tension lever act as a gear shifter and the piece you're working on is the steering wheel.

My deadman footswitch is mounted to a piece of plywood and sits on the floor.  I have a small block of 2x4 in front of it.  My heel rests on the 2x4, allowing the natural weight of my foot to apply pressure to the switch.  No fatigue at all.  In fact, I have to sometimes move my foot a bit, when I'm not sawing, (like when changing blades, etc) so that I don't accidentally step on the switch and turn the saw on.

1 hour ago, barb.j.enders said:

I would like to figure out a way to mount the switch on the side and then use my knee to operate.  My old sewing machine had a switch like that as did my mother's mangle.  A mangle is a large, roller style iron.  Found a video about them,  funny now!

My mother had one of those.  she ironed every thing we wore including underwear.  What she couldn't iron on the mangle she did on the ironing board with an iron.   You did not see those mangle much even when I was a kid.  I think I have read a few people on here operate their foot switch with there leg.  Maybe some one will speak up.

We have the Wen momentary foot switches for our Wen and Jet saws. To avoid foot issues for us, I made riser blocks for us each with a fulcrum point that fits just before the heel of our shoes. penny's is different from mine as her foot is shorter. Our foot rocks on this fulcrum like a teeter totter easily and our foot stays relaxed. The rubber feet of the switch fit down into the flat bottom holes of the riser blocks, and the cord lays in the cut groove, helping the switch stay in place. The Wen switch is hinged at the front (corrected) of the metal switch body. Works for us well. Don

IMG_20230222_104942200.jpg

IMG_20230222_105030398.jpg

IMG_20230222_105425161.jpg

IMG_20230222_104955491.jpg

Edited by Tallbald

On 3/1/2023 at 5:49 AM, barb.j.enders said:

I would like to figure out a way to mount the switch on the side and then use my knee to operate.  My old sewing machine had a switch like that as did my mother's mangle.  A mangle is a large, roller style iron.  Found a video about them,  funny now!

I had a sewing machine a while back where someone mounted the foot pedal to the inside edge of the cabinet and you used the side of your knee to push against it.  I suppose one could do that with any one of the foot pedals.  I would probably look for one that isn't difficult to push against, as your leg may get a bit tired.