Wheels on scrollsaw stands

flarud

Since my shop remodel I assembled and am using the factory Dewalt stand.  It works ok but I have to move it on occasion and it probably shouldn't be dragged around like I am doing.  Has anyone put wheels on the factory stand?  Does the stand/saw stay in place while using it or does it move around a bit?  I have recently used a couple different wheels for recent projects that had the option for wheel locks, which I purchased and they work.  But those applications do not have a running saw with vibrations,, not sure how good locking wheels would work.  I am trying to avoid having to build my own heavy duty stand with wheels at this point.  Any input would be appreciated. 

Thanks,
Barry

2 minutes ago, OCtoolguy said:

How about putting wheels on just two of the legs and mounting them so that they only slightly touch the floor? When moving is necessary you'd just lift one end and roll it around. 

Genius!  LOL

I could see the problem with that possibly is the stock stand has one leg in the back and two on the front.  I think wheels on the front two would work best but with my set-up, it's not easy to get to the back of the saw.  I will play around with your idea though.  I thought about the wheels that lift up when not in use allowing the stands feet to be planted on the floor but those are pricey and probably too big,, unless they come in smaller sizes.  (I only remember them in one size)

2 minutes ago, flarud said:

Genius!  LOL

I could see the problem with that possibly is the stock stand has one leg in the back and two on the front.  I think wheels on the front two would work best but with my set-up, it's not easy to get to the back of the saw.  I will play around with your idea though.  I thought about the wheels that lift up when not in use allowing the stands feet to be planted on the floor but those are pricey and probably too big,, unless they come in smaller sizes.  (I only remember them in one size)

Ok, how about building a cradle for the rear leg that spreads the footprint out maybe the same width as the 2 front legs and recess the two wheels? 

I have these on the "big equipment" bandsaw etc. they work great.. when needing moved you flip the lever and it raises / lowers so the wheels are on the ground and then you can park it and it sets up off the wheels. This is kind of pricey but you could easily build something out of wood for a scroll saw.. I think Harbor Freight has something similar too but much cheaper.. I don't think you're going to want the wheels permanently fixed to the ground because I think it'll cause some vibration unless you have a perfect level floor and so far in my life I've never seen one that is perfect.. 

https://www.grizzly.com/products/grizzly-bear-crawl-heavy-duty-mobile-base/t28000

1 hour ago, kmmcrafts said:

I have these on the "big equipment" bandsaw etc. they work great.. when needing moved you flip the lever and it raises / lowers so the wheels are on the ground and then you can park it and it sets up off the wheels. This is kind of pricey but you could easily build something out of wood for a scroll saw.. I think Harbor Freight has something similar too but much cheaper.. I don't think you're going to want the wheels permanently fixed to the ground because I think it'll cause some vibration unless you have a perfect level floor and so far in my life I've never seen one that is perfect.. 

https://www.grizzly.com/products/grizzly-bear-crawl-heavy-duty-mobile-base/t28000

I've used these a couple of times. They work well. The cost does keep going up though.

HarborFreight tool stand kit.png

36 minutes ago, OCtoolguy said:

I've used these a couple of times. They work well. The cost does keep going up though.

HarborFreight tool stand kit.png

Still a lot cheaper than the ones I bought years ago.. though I don't think HF had these at the time I bought mine. Can't remember the brand name on mine now but very well made and been very happy with them so far. 

Just now, kmmcrafts said:

Still a lot cheaper than the ones I bought years ago.. though I don't think HF had these at the time I bought mine. Can't remember the brand name on mine now but very well made and been very happy with them so far. 

I'll bet yours are HTC. They were the best at one time but very pricey. I think Delta sold them under their name.

I bought a “Wen” adjustable mobile base with two fixed wheels and two swivel wheels that also has a locking mechanism. I cut a piece of plywood to fit the interior of the base and then mounted my Dewalt stand to the plywood. The two swivel wheels are on a lever that you use to either lock it down to work or move it. Works great. You can get at Lowe’s or Amazon for less than $60. I don’t know how to paste link to the site or I would have.  

The usual scroll saw stands are 3 legs, making many of the add-on wheel systems not really work well. I once tried wheels on my scroll saw stand and took them off a week later. The saw kept moving while I was using it.

I ended up putting pinball machine feet on my scroll saws. They stay in place, but when you want to move the saw, they will slide easily on relatively smooth floors, and I've found them to be perfect for the need. I use them on my table saw extensions, as well as several other tool stands in my shop. 

The Pinball Resource is the best and cheapest place to get them. I think that once you see the photo that I have attached, you will readily see how easy it is to add these to most scroll saw stands by adding a few fender washers and nuts from your nearby hardware store. The one that you want will most likely be part # Leg3T. The bolt-to-head connection is loose but secure, to allow the head to slip easily over small bumps and seams in the floor. Add a couple of fender washers and a second nut to these and they will fit most metal legged stands with the hole in the bottom plate. At $1.10 each, I don't think you will find a better deal anywhere for any kind of feet for your scroll saws.

Though Steve (the owner) is a friend of mine. I have no financial interest in your business with him. 

http://www.pbresource.com/cabparts.html   Look down the screen until you see the photo attached. There are several versions, but this seems to be the best for scroll saw use.  LEG3 is the part number.

leg3t.jpg.1115ce727ee14532629ee9eb936dae24.jpg

Charley

5 hours ago, CharleyL said:

The usual scroll saw stands are 3 legs, making many of the add-on wheel systems not really work well. I once tried wheels on my scroll saw stand and took them off a week later. The saw kept moving while I was using it.

I have owned three different saws, all with stands with four legs. My saws have four double-locking casters and they never move unless I push or pull on the saw. I have never locked the casters other than to test them.\

• 1 year later...
On 3/13/2023 at 1:37 PM, flarud said:

Thanks to everyone and all of the ideas.  I ended up going with a set of Bora wheels.  They work perfect.  When I need to use the bandsaw, I can pull the scrollsaw out of the way.  When finished, I can back it right back into place.  

PXL_20230311_205030133.thumb.jpg.21dbe936b6a221bfd183526c3f5d60c9.jpg    PXL_20230311_204711483.thumb.jpg.29bf7165d0cb89488e5e678e13de3450.jpg    PXL_20230311_204854406.thumb.jpg.db0ba8b88ebb61ed61aa0b420b893c1a.jpg

Since its been about 1 1/2 years since you added the Bora wheels and ample time to use them, have you had any issues with vibration or stability or anything else? I am considering ordering some to put on my stand as well. Thanks in advance.

5 hours ago, btseed357 said:

Since its been about 1 1/2 years since you added the Bora wheels and ample time to use them, have you had any issues with vibration or stability or anything else? I am considering ordering some to put on my stand as well. Thanks in advance.

There was a little vibration.  I put a concrete block on the lower shelf of the factory stand and the vibration went away.  Any kind of weight would work.  I'm glad I went with the Bora wheel kit.