Another MIA

TAIrving

Does anyone else have sleep apnea?  Do you have any experience with Inspire?

I have known that I have apnea for 30+ years.  I have tried many types of therapies, including CPAP, some of which worked for a while, none of which work for me now.  I am now on track to get an Inspire implant later this year.  But first:

I had surgery to correct my deviated septum and then had an infection in the surgical site, now under control.  For now, I am to avoid breathing wood dust or anything else noxious.  And I may not put any pressure on my nose.  So, no mask, no shop time.  

I wear one of these to suspend my eyeglasses off my nose.  Amazon.com: Pro Optics Pro-Nose Guard, Black, For Eyeglass Suspension (1) : Health & Household 

For now, no woodworking, not golf, just lurking around the house, driving my lady crazy.  

I've sleep apnea, likely for longer than the 9 years i've had a CPAP machine.  I don't think it works as well as it could, but I definitely know when I don't use it OR the power goes out - forced air suddenly stops and now you breathe through a small partially blocked hose.  Aside from short naps on the couch I have to have that machine.  

If there is better I would be willing to try it; but the VA has not said anything about alternatives aside from I need to lose weight.  Should you try the Inspire device please let us know the outcome.

Thanks!

I was diagnosed with SA many years ago and they prescribed a CPAP. It was set at 13 whatever that means. Anyway, the pressure was enough to make my mouth fall open so they put a chin strap on me. One night, my nose got congested and didn't let the air through so with the chin strap holding my mouth shut and no air through my nose, I woke up thinking I was drowning. Scared the hell out of me. I tore that thing off and never put it back on again. The last I saw of it was when we have an estate sale and somebody bought it. The apnea either went away or I still have it and don't know it. That was about 20 years ago.