Hockey pucking hawk.

Eplfan2011

Does anyone have a solution to "hockey pucking" on my vs226 ultra upper blade holder, here's what I've tried so far.

Adjusted the little set screw that the blade is clamped againt.

Roughened the tips of the set screw and clamp screw with 80 grit sand paper.

Tryed backing off tightening the clamp screw to a point where the blade slips out.

Roughened up blades.

Short of making a pegas style screw with a floating end any other ideas?       ( Pegas screw is a 1/4 fine thread hawk is a quarter course thread) 

55 minutes ago, Eplfan2011 said:

Does anyone have a solution to "hockey pucking" on my vs226 ultra upper blade holder, here's what I've tried so far.

Adjusted the little set screw that the blade is clamped againt.

Roughened the tips of the set screw and clamp screw with 80 grit sand paper.

Tryed backing off tightening the clamp screw to a point where the blade slips out.

Roughened up blades.

Short of making a pegas style screw with a floating end any other ideas?       ( Pegas screw is a 1/4 fine thread hawk is a quarter course thread) 

My only thought is that the screw and clamp screw might be too rough and when you tighten the blades down it is being "grabbed" by the screws and forced to bend. Try sanding the screws with 220 paper and give them a lighter sanding. 

What kind of blade you talking about? I get that sometimes with spiral blades. Also bought some new thumb screws from the local hardware and they was not flat on the end and that did it too. It’s quite hard to dress the ends flat without going on an angle unless you use some sort of jig. Since the Hawks don’t have the spinning end insert like some of the other saws I found it to be way more picky about how flat and smooth the ends are. 

I’ve always wanted to build a jig out of metal but the wooden one does a good enough job. Take a scrap piece of plywood at least 1/4 inch thick and drill you a hole just the right size so the thumb and set screws will hold tightly when threading them in and screw them in just enough to protrude slighting on the back side. Now make sure they are threaded into the wood straight. Then you can sand them completely flat and reinstall the set screw with a little blue loc-tite and adjust it so the blade is in the center of the slot in the blade clamps. Doing this usually will solve any blade slipping and bending. 

1 hour ago, kmmcrafts said:

What kind of blade you talking about? I get that sometimes with spiral blades. Also bought some new thumb screws from the local hardware and they was not flat on the end and that did it too. It’s quite hard to dress the ends flat without going on an angle unless you use some sort of jig. Since the Hawks don’t have the spinning end insert like some of the other saws I found it to be way more picky about how flat and smooth the ends are. 

I’ve always wanted to build a jig out of metal but the wooden one does a good enough job. Take a scrap piece of plywood at least 1/4 inch thick and drill you a hole just the right size so the thumb and set screws will hold tightly when threading them in and screw them in just enough to protrude slighting on the back side. Now make sure they are threaded into the wood straight. Then you can sand them completely flat and reinstall the set screw with a little blue loc-tite and adjust it so the blade is in the center of the slot in the blade clamps. Doing this usually will solve any blade slipping and bending. 

Thanks Kevin.

Might have found the problem, a build up of gunk in the top of the bladeholder. It was allowing the blade to slip past the stop, therefore the tension was off every time it slid passed needing more force on the screw to hold the blade, more tension more force on the screw....

It's been ok since, a little bending on #2.0 blade but not bad. My father in law has a small machine shop ( before he retired he was a toolmaker) and I'll get him to turn the ends flat, maybe see if he can replicate the spinning ends.

9 hours ago, Eplfan2011 said:

Thanks Kevin.

Might have found the problem, a build up of gunk in the top of the bladeholder. It was allowing the blade to slip past the stop, therefore the tension was off every time it slid passed needing more force on the screw to hold the blade, more tension more force on the screw....

It's been ok since, a little bending on #2.0 blade but not bad. My father in law has a small machine shop ( before he retired he was a toolmaker) and I'll get him to turn the ends flat, maybe see if he can replicate the spinning ends.

Someone on here made some of the swivel ends for their Hawk saw and they said they worked good. I'm not really sure it's needed as I've not really ever had a issue with them on any of my Hawks.  

37 minutes ago, OCtoolguy said:

If he has the needed tools have him put some Heli-coils in the clamps so you can use the Pegas/Dewalt-style screws. 

Yep thought of that too Ray or even make me some new blade holders.

As I said to Kevin earlier I think all's good now, just cut another quick project and I've had no problems.