Couple Free Small Pieces Of Walnut

kmmcrafts

For those that don’t know my brother owns a lumber mill. They had the lumber grade people there sorting lumber and this lumber didn’t meet the requirements so either I was to come get it or it was going into the wood burner. 

I still haven’t used the full two truck loads of walnut he gave me last fall. And while there he reminded me I am supposed to go to another mill that has 200bdf of 4ft pieces that he gave me last month that they needed to move out of the storage area so I guess I should have plenty of walnut lumber for a couple years probably, 😂 

While there he tried to get me to take a stack of spalted maple he has. He gave me 100 or so bdf about 10 years ago that I still haven’t used that I told him I was thinking about selling, burning or something because it doesn’t fit with my typical projects I make. 

1D666663-C0B4-409F-9EBD-4D0B3D0B5276.jpeg

9E52C627-F4FB-4055-841F-9EE7FA36F8A6.jpeg

4EE26B15-2894-48D9-86BF-F1975A0C54FF.jpeg

7 hours ago, OCtoolguy said:

Yeah, my nose is getting sore from you rubbing it! Why don't you mill some of it, cut it into small sizes and send it all your Village friends? 

Have thought about that and also have offered a few members free lumber if they paid shipping cost but everyone I've done that for declined when they seen the cost of shipping just a few pieces.. especially now that they changed the rates to calculate the box size and weight.. was much cheaper before they started the box sizing thing. 

6 hours ago, Scrappile said:

I see several people selling wood on Etsy.   Maybe you should cut some in easy shipping sizes and sell some.

Have also considered that.. most the issue with selling wood is sealing it up so the changes in temps / humidity don't warp / cup / twist the lumber.. 

Also getting it directly from the mill is a issue of having to store it for 1-2 years for it to dry out good enough to use.

14 minutes ago, kmmcrafts said:

Have thought about that and also have offered a few members free lumber if they paid shipping cost but everyone I've done that for declined when they seen the cost of shipping just a few pieces.. especially now that they changed the rates to calculate the box size and weight.. was much cheaper before they started the box sizing thing. 

Well, I was thinking that you need a trip to So Cal and if you come this way, in your truck, well you see where I'm going with this?

It's kind of funny how this works with my brother because he has always said if I need something special to go see him.. I typically buy my lumber that is from a lumber store that has been dried and planed.. But 4 or so years ago I desperately needed a small piece of Walnut.. and the lumber store I typically go to was closed that day and they always had very thick big pieces and smaller stuff was hard to find.. My brother took that as a "anytime he has some rejected Walnut I'll take it because I'm always looking for it, LOL.. I don't use it very often and mostly use cherry or poplar.. I've told him that I was about out of Cherry today.. so that'll probably be the next one he will load my shop up with.. Again what he gives me today I have to wait at least a year to use and I have to stack it up in my loft stickered so it can air dry. 

Try making bandsaw boxes with spalted maple they look great. I have a friend that gives me extra wood hat to get rid of it. He’s a wood turner so I get his junk wood. On walnut slabs my friend has several as well as cherry, oak and curly maple. I get it at at below market price. When I make live edge tables I charge market price and give him the money. That way we both come out at about $1200 apiece after expenses.2149F0CB-545D-42C1-828B-7B130C51CA7F.thumb.jpeg.8e23f8ed93df6b240a227a9b5bc34af0.jpegEA5A9520-AA98-43B6-BD22-B8862E4D999D.thumb.jpeg.2dc39b9abb5a296da85cc24bdad41b49.jpeg

Edited by Woodmaster1