Blade size for animal puzzles

Beeber

:confused: I am making jig saw puzzels of animals. Notice that when I cut the piece lines that there is a lot of play between pieces. Can anyone recommend which blade to use to ensure a tighter fit? I use spiral blades for the cuts (size 5.) I would like very tight so when I sand, it leaves a little space for finishing.

Hi Beeber. I make a lot of jigsaws to sell at craft fairs, mostly animals and not more than a dozen pieces in 3/4 hardwood. I use ultra reverse blades from Mikes workshop and usually it is a number 5 blade. With this blade it leaves a perfect finish so there is no need to sand the sides. I give the top and bottom of the wood a light sand prior to finishing. I tried making them in pine when I first started but getting a really good finish was the problem. Pine is okay if you are going to paint them but this is time consuming and the profits take a plunge. I find that people love to see the grain of the wood and feel it before buying.