PORTER-CABLE 16" Variable Speed Scroll Saw

juvy

Hello,

a few months ago I read a review in one of the magazines about the PORTER-CABLE 16" Variable Speed Scroll Saw , it sounded pretty good. As I'm in Australia I can't go have a look at it myself, but would like to purchase it for my Texas grandkids. When I had a look at the Loewe site I read some of the comments and as good as the first ones were... the latest ones are bad..

So before I send them money for this.. can anyone tell me more about it? Or can anyone recommend a saw comparable in price? At the monent they sell it for $186 with stand. Does not have to have the stand as my son can make one. I have a Delta myself and love it, but not sure if it can still be bought in the US... we can't get it here anymore.

Thank you

Juvy

I have the pc saw that came with the stand and have had it for a couple of months and have used the crap out of it. The only down fall is the blower but that's going to be a downfall on any saw once i set up the blower with a fish pump it works great I have no complaints. For the money, it's a good saw. I debated with it and the craftsman and went with this on as the craftsman came with no stand. I use to use a craftsman and liked it. But now think the pc is a little better and being that it comes with the stand everything matched up and made less vibration and noise. I give this saw a 7 on a scale from 1 to 10. The only thing I would change on it would be put a higher wattage light on it. Other than that it's great.

Thanks so much for that quick reply... lighting speed! lol

Are you using the saw with pin or pinless blades? Are the pinless ones easy to change? This saw is going to my son and his 3 boys ( 8,10 and 12) My son's an experienced woodworker, but never had a scroll saw... so they are looking forward to this. I would hate to get them something that's going to frustrate them and turn them off woodworking.

Thanks again

Juvy

I use both but mostly pinless and yes for the most part they are easy to change and work with the only ones I found to give a little problems is the spiral blades but then I have the older style ones that aren't straight on the ends I've saw the new design FD spirals that have straight ends so when I use up the ones I have now I'll be getting them. They aren't that bad to get to stay just have to pay closer attention to get them in the right spot on the clamps. I think you'll have no problems with this one as it's toolless blade change and it allows you to see the bottom clamp pretty easy also. I also love the clean up on it two screws and you have access inside. Plus it don't need to be oilled at all. I thought it did and read the manual it says you don't need it. Of course I did use some 3n1 oil on it and it made it even work better. I also like the table slant adjuster as it is pretty accurate and has a gauge to help get the angle right.

wow, you know those guys who answered on their site must have had lemons or something... you are telling me the right opposite and I'm ready to tell my son to get this saw... specially considering that they aren't going to be using it for fine scrolling .... they are all beginners and chances are high that they will destroy it before they have a need for a better one lol ..... so it's an entry saw.... I'm hoping to get them interested enough so maybe in a few years they'll want/need a better one.

I'm still hoping that one day someone will sell a Delta over here again... nothing beats that clamp system.....I've used a Hegner and still liked the Delta better!

Thanks again for your input :)

Not having tryed a pc, i look at it at lowe's.It should get the kids interested as you got to start some where.I loved all the cheap scroll saws i've used (7),and had a ball every second with them.Get them started while the fires hot! Keep, their interest going when their young and it should last a life time. :)

Thanks for the reminder .... I forogt all about this site until I opened it and yes.... I've been there ..... a looooooong time ago!

Now all I have to do is actually get that money to them - found out Lowes does not take overseas creditcards..... bummer... then I just with I could be there to teach them , to watch their faces....