Sorta new approach

Gene Howe

Been studying books and watching YouTube a lot lately and I think I'll try something I'll refer to as segmentarsia.

Some shaping of pieces...more like just easing the edges on some pieces. And, using different thicknesses without any elevating pads. I can see putting the Foredom to work, too.

Just glue the pieces at different elevations. Probably stick with a single species. Soft maple or poplar would likely work. And, use a lot of different stain blends. And dabs of paint. Might even use a bit of drywall mud.

Purists may (likely will) scoff but, it should be quite fun. Who knows, it may even result in a nice piece.

D9737667-BEBB-4D8F-A456-77EDAA9BB4F9.thumb.jpeg.7fb31f2357b4c164f8884b418e375fcb.jpeg589EA0EC-04B9-472F-A8EC-67DF9A97C9BF.thumb.jpeg.b13445e92e2b7b0aef1c3e8dce0b0c3f.jpegthat’s kind of what I do when I make these signs. I cut all of it out of a flat board and glue everything back in at different heights. I also paint everything before I glue it together. If the sign is too big for my saw I cut everything out of different thickness of wood and paint it and glue it together. 

5 hours ago, Gene Howe said:

Purists may (likely will) scoff but, it should be quite fun. Who knows, it may even result in a nice piece.

Let them scoff. If you enjoy it, and it fits you, go with it!! I will sometimes do that exact technique because I like woodworking in general.

Chris