Removing patterns

Vector01

On my last piece the pattern had been on the wood for three days. Needless to say I had problems removing the pattern. I had read about using thinners and Goo-Gone to loosen the paper. Unfortunately all I had was some alcohol wipes.

I wet the pieces of paper with the wipes and let them sit about 30 seconds or so. The pieces came off with no problems and left no glue residue. I let the alcohol evaporate and gave the wood a final sanding/clean up. There was no bleed thru of the ink from the pattern to the wood with the alcohol.

I'll have to try that on a scrap piece. I think it's something I'm doing wrong. I gave up on gluing patterns straight to wood long ago. I now put masking tape between the wood and the pattern. On my tight budget though, it'd be nice to eliminate one cost to my projects. In the past though, gluing them to the wood has left such a mess that I even resorted to throwing a couple of pieces in the firewood pile.