Clock Insert Styles?

For those that use clock inserts, what is your preference Arabic or Roman numbers? I realize it could depend upon the project at hand but just trying to figure out if the order I just placed 😂 is going to actually sell. I wanted a few of the Roman clocks so in order to get them I had to order a large quantity and now hoping I'm not going to be setting on 1000 clock inserts for years, LOL I know I'll sell some because I'm always getting asked if I have any Roman or if I'll be getting any in the future. I don't personally like them but maybe they're more popular with others, I've always had the oddball opinion in most things so I have to ask for yours. 

Anyway, Arabic or Roman?

3 hours ago, Scrappile said:

II keep making little clocks I will use one or two.  So only 999 to go.

You'll need at least two because when someone sees one they'll want theirs Roman numeral too, 😂.. I won't have any in the 1-7/16 size, the ones I ordered are 2" clocks. Funny most scroll patterns use the 1-7/16 but the 2" seem to be the most popular sellers for me. 

Kevin, just wondering where you order your inserts from that you have to order 1,000. Maybe I didn't understand you question. I have ordered sometimes just one or two with no issues. I know some sites might sell them for $10 or $12 dollars. I only use 1 7/16" inserts and I can't imagine 2" insert being that much more. Maybe you use a higher quality than I do, but I have never had an issue with the inserts I use. As I said earlier maybe I misunderstood your comment. If so I'm sorry.  Oh, by the way, I have used both Arabic and Roman Numeral.

Jerry

1 hour ago, jerry walters said:

Kevin, just wondering where you order your inserts from that you have to order 1,000. Maybe I didn't understand you question. I have ordered sometimes just one or two with no issues. I know some sites might sell them for $10 or $12 dollars. I only use 1 7/16" inserts and I can't imagine 2" insert being that much more. Maybe you use a higher quality than I do, but I have never had an issue with the inserts I use. As I said earlier maybe I misunderstood your comment. If so I'm sorry.  Oh, by the way, I have used both Arabic and Roman Numeral.

Jerry

Jerry, I buy factory direct and order them to my specification. ie Most all the other clock suppliers sell what's called a "economy" clock and they have a reverse engineered china made motor and the clock case is made of plastic with plastic spring clips that hold them into the hole. As a clock maker myself I kept having customer complaints about the china made motors not keeping time, not running, etc. and also many many complaints of the spring clips getting brittle over time and breaking when they try to change the battery or the time. SO frustrated as a seller to be selling my beautiful creations with a inferior clock set in so I went on a mission to find the seller that sold the best clocks money could buy.. I purchased 2-3 clocks from every online and searched and looked local to find a good quality clock.. It turns out that most all the suppliers was selling the same junk. In my 2 year long research I somehow stumbled upon the actual company that makes the clocks and reached out to them.. Turns out, I could custom order the clocks however I wanted them.. SO now I order factory direct custom made with all metal casings with friction gasket fit instead of the spring clips and the Seiko PC-21 clock motor with a real mineral glass lens instead of all plastic case and lens with cheap china made motors. The caveat is I have to order in large quantity.. I'm okay with that so long as I'm getting a quality product to use in my own crafts and then I sell them too at a big discount from what you'd get IF you ordered the same "quality" clock.. I'm selling high end clock inserts for the same price as most other sellers are selling the cheap plastic ones.. There are a few places that still sell the all metal clocks like I sell but you're paying $22 - 29 each for them too.. See clockparts.com prices...  I'm not really making a profit on the clocks but rather just trying to move them out of my inventory hopefully before the batteries go bad. I try to sell enough to get a new supply every 1 - 1.5 years so I'm not setting on a bunch of clocks with dead batteries and having to supply new batteries.. See next paragraph, LOL

Unfortunately my wife last year tried to help "organize"  my inventory and she found my clocks in two separate places.. I did that on purpose because one location was a old batch and the other location was a new batch.. not knowing she put them all together.. so now I don't know which ones are the older batch or the new ones.. some of the older batch had bad batteries.. so now I have about 600 clocks and about 100 - 150 is old with bad batteries.. I don't warranty the batteries anyway but I also want my customers to get a good new battery with the clock like is advertised.. so now I'm sending out a new battery with the clocks and the customer might get one of the old clocks with bad battery or they might get a newer clock with a good battery.. if they get a newer clock then they get a bonus extra battery.🙂  

Thanks Kevin. I just found a new supplier. Didn't know Seiko made clock inserts. Our wives do so much to help us. My wife has been gone 6 years and I am still finding things that she organized for me. Some things I will never find because she didn't think I needed them, I'm sure you can guess where she filed them. I loved her so much and I really miss her. It was 60 years ago today that we were married, the happiest day in my life.

Jerry

43 minutes ago, jerry walters said:

Thanks Kevin. I just found a new supplier. Didn't know Seiko made clock inserts. Our wives do so much to help us. My wife has been gone 6 years and I am still finding things that she organized for me. Some things I will never find because she didn't think I needed them, I'm sure you can guess where she filed them. I loved her so much and I really miss her. It was 60 years ago today that we were married, the happiest day in my life.

Jerry

Sorry to hear about the loss of your wife, I know you say she has been gone for 6 years but I'm not sure it gets any easier.. Happy anniversary to you and happy heavenly anniversary to her. 

We've been married 30 years this Sept. 11th. I'd do it all over again and if I could change anything it'd be finding and marrying her sooner,  

3 hours ago, BadBob said:

Why not order the clocks without the battery?

Price is same with or without so purchasing the batteries is extra cost to me if I order without.. It's easier to just try selling the extras off.. and if I don't sell all of them I can buy batteries for the remaining. I think the place I get the clocks from order the seiko motors from Japan and they come with the batteries so if I order without then they have to take them out and dispose them. That was my understanding anyhow..

6 minutes ago, barb.j.enders said:

Just took a quick look at most of my clocks - they are all Arabic.  I don't mind Roman numerals but then prefer it to only be on the 1/4's  It can get crowded looking.

I ordered a split order, half of them with each of the clock faces below. The first picture they told me is the more popular one they make. 

clock.png

clock1.png

21 hours ago, kmmcrafts said:

Price is same with or without so purchasing the batteries is extra cost to me if I order without.. It's easier to just try selling the extras off.. and if I don't sell all of them I can buy batteries for the remaining. I think the place I get the clocks from order the seiko motors from Japan and they come with the batteries so if I order without then they have to take them out and dispose them. That was my understanding anyhow..

I should have known you would have thought of that.

29 minutes ago, jerry walters said:

Kevin, since you purchased so many roman numeral clocks are you going to some of them up for sale?  Just wondering.

Jerry

I'll be selling the majority of them.. It'll be about 4-6 weeks before I get possession of them and have them on the website.