Scroll saw choice?

JimNC

My wife is just getting into scroll sawing and would like to get a new saw but don't want to break the bank. Has anyone used the  Wen LL2156 21 inch Scroll saw? This one sell for $360 which is in our price range.  Please don't confuse this with the cheap $120 Wen scroll saw. We looked at some use high end saws in the $300-$400 range but they turned out to be junk.

I don't know anything about the Wen, so I'm of no help there.  I don't know of too many saws in that price range.  It seems that scroll saws exist in the budget price range, then jump up to the $500-$600 range for something like a bare bones Dewalt.  Grizzly used to put Dewalts on sale for a pretty decent price, but I haven't seen that for some time. 

Delta still has the 40-694 that is somewhat cheaper than a Dewalt, but I'm not sure what kind of product support you will get from Delta these days.  

Speaking of Grizzly, I just noticed that they offer an 18" model that is different than anything I've seen with their name on it before.  I know nothing about it, but it is closer to your price point and it at least looks intriguing.  

Grizzly Industrial G0938 18" Scroll Saw With Stand - - Amazon.com

7 hours ago, JimNC said:

My wife is just getting into scroll sawing and would like to get a new saw but don't want to break the bank. Has anyone used the  Wen LL2156 21 inch Scroll saw? This one sell for $360 which is in our price range.  Please don't confuse this with the cheap $120 Wen scroll saw. We looked at some use high end saws in the $300-$400 range but they turned out to be junk.

I have had 2 Wen LL2156 scroll saws. Both only lasted 2 months each. Both returned due to bearing problems. Now I have a Dewalt. Although I liked the Wen 21inch, I think the Dewalt is a much much better saw all the way around.

51 minutes ago, Moocifer Joe said:

I have had 2 Wen LL2156 scroll saws. Both only lasted 2 months each. Both returned due to bearing problems. Now I have a Dewalt. Although I liked the Wen 21inch, I think the Dewalt is a much much better saw all the way around.

I'm really sad to hear that the Wen is not a winner. Let's hope they get the bugs out and present a better product.

I have the WEN 3922 which I purchased about 2-months before the LL2156 was introduced to the market. It has served me well however there have been some issues. The blower bellows will wear out quickly. The first time it wore out I contacted WEN and they sent me a replacement under warranty. The second time I decided to go with a fish tank bubbler which has taken care of any bellows problems. One of the reasons I went with the 3922 was the design of the blade clamp over the 3921. These clamps will wear out and eventually strip but can be replaced for approximately $5 each. I order them by the dozen directly from WEN. As you would expect, this is an entry level scroll saw. I have ordered a Pegas 30-inch which should arrive in July. I have cut some nice pieces on the 3922 and I will keep it even after my new saw arrives.

Steve Good did a video on the LL2156 that you can view from this here: 

Lately Amazon has had the Dewalt for under $ 400.00 on and off. If you are not in a big hurry they will probably drop in that price range again. Usually only last two or three days on sale. I believe thats a pretty good price for that saw. Hope you find one soon and get started scrolling. Steve Good usually post the price drop on this saw.

• 2 weeks later...

Well I took the plunge and purchased the  Wen LL2156 21 inch Scroll saw. This fell into my budget so I took a chance. I have used it a few days now and it is like driving a Cadillac compared to the saw that I had before. I am very happy with the $370 Wen saw and I will keep a full review again in a few months. 

40 minutes ago, JimNC said:

Well I took the plunge and purchased the  Wen LL2156 21 inch Scroll saw. This fell into my budget so I took a chance. I have used it a few days now and it is like driving a Cadillac compared to the saw that I had before. I am very happy with the $370 Wen saw and I will keep a full review again in a few months. 

I'm truly hoping that it turns out to be a good investment. We need more mid-range saws