Lost my virginity

Gene Howe

I find, going slow is a good thing.  Take your time when cutting, enjoy the process, and concentrate on nailing your guidelines.  This will help you later on if you decide to do intarsia. 

Slow and steady wins the race!

By nailing your lines, you reduce/eliminate recuts, and also additional fitting.

Going slow is critical to early success.  In teaching my grandkids I found 3 things to be helpful:

1.  The "wired edge" on a scroll saw blade results in an angled cut (around 3 to6 degrees).  If you try to feed the blade straight on it will drift off the line.  I drew a line on the table when I was just starting to help reinforce this counter intuitive fact.

2.  Drill a blade-width hole in a practice piece, pass the blade through and tension it.  Now practice rotating the work piece with very light pressure against the back edge of the blade.  This will give you a feel for what it takes to turn those tight corners that are so daunting when learning to scroll.

3.  Enjoy the journey.

Been doing cutting of thicker hard woods for intarsia lately.   My biggest problem is getting a 90° cut.   Did not realize it until I watch the JGR video on "cutting of accuracy". (Actually it is her husband's video).  Now that I am aware of it I really concentrate on it especially in turns,,, Getting much better.  But i do have to go slower now.  

Gene, do yourself a favor and take those first cuttings and sign the back side and date them. Put them away for a year or so and then come back and see your improvement. Both in speed of cut and accuracy. My very first cutting was of a butterfly done in some scrap 5/16" BB ply. I hung it up in my shop and look at it every once in a while. I look at it and see where I had problems with turning tight corners or drifting off line. Those things now are not problems but it came with experience and seat time behind your sawblade. I tried reading books but they were of no use to me. I have gained EVERYTHING I know from right here at SSV. And practice, practice, practice. I noticed also that if I am away from the saw for a couple of weeks, when I come back, I have to regain some of the lost "muscle memory" that really goes away fast. So, I have learned that if I've been away from the saw, I do a practice cut of something to regain what I lost. Being 80 years old is not for the weak. For sure.

I am with you!  I have made so many goofs but like Ray says, time in the seat really makes the difference.   I don't use patterns so no worries for me for going outside the lines....but even without that, I still make screw ups.  I really like your first picture.   Love the Cactus! 🌵 🙂

Edited by MarieC

Thanks for the suggestion, Ray. It's just an experiment. The cactus is on the bench getting Dremeled. Adding the ribs. Later, it'll get a water color pencil treatment. Then, I may hang it up as the first of, Im sure, many more to fill what will become the wall of infamy. 

Marie, patterns, at my stage of scrolling, would be a waste of paper and ink. I just used carbon paper to get the state and then drew that cactus...all directly on the plywood. 

Edited by Gene Howe

2 hours ago, rjweb said:

Marie, you say you don't use patterns, what do you use, thx RJ

RJ, I free hand it.  I will draw something on the wood and then cut it out and often times I just start cutting.  I finished this a couple weeks ago.  I  scroll sawed the silhouette of my daughter and her husband in epoxy after I painted it. Then I scroll sawed the frame and also did some carving.  I  am working on my other daughters right now.20230511_083908.thumb.jpg.843e01bccf9d79011700e68257450505.jpg

13 hours ago, OCtoolguy said:

Gene, do yourself a favor and take those first cuttings and sign the back side and date them. Put them away for a year or so and then come back and see your improvement. Both in speed of cut and accuracy. My very first cutting was of a butterfly done in some scrap 5/16" BB ply. I hung it up in my shop and look at it every once in a while. I look at it and see where I had problems with turning tight corners or drifting off line. Those things now are not problems but it came with experience and seat time behind your sawblade. I tried reading books but they were of no use to me. I have gained EVERYTHING I know from right here at SSV. And practice, practice, practice. I noticed also that if I am away from the saw for a couple of weeks, when I come back, I have to regain some of the lost "muscle memory" that really goes away fast. So, I have learned that if I've been away from the saw, I do a practice cut of something to regain what I lost. Being 80 years old is not for the weak. For sure.

+1 for this advice. You will get there. Some of us take a little longer than others but each to their own. You will get there.

16 hours ago, OCtoolguy said:

Being 80 years old is not for the weak. For sure.

I turned 82 last April. Age is just a number. We all have to grow older. We don't have to grow up. It's adulting that's tuff. 

1 hour ago, FrankEV said:

I'm with you...I'll be 81 in 8 days!

Hope you have a great Birthday, Frank.

16 hours ago, MarieC said:

Ray, are you saying you are 80?  Your picture looks like your not a day over 50!

Strangely, I have not aged in appearance. That pic was taken about 12 years ago but I still look the same and still wear that cap. Along with my collection of Trump hats.

21 hours ago, MarieC said:

RJ, I free hand it.  I will draw something on the wood and then cut it out and often times I just start cutting.  I finished this a couple weeks ago.  I  scroll sawed the silhouette of my daughter and her husband in epoxy after I painted it. Then I scroll sawed the frame and also did some carving.  I  am working on my other daughters right now.20230511_083908.thumb.jpg.843e01bccf9d79011700e68257450505.jpg

That is one fine work of art. Beautifully done.

10 hours ago, don watson said:

At 84 I seem to be an old guy here. They only thing that stopped me is this pesky stroke but I will beat it.

EDIT I am only 83, I don't turn 84 until December whoopee !!!

Yes, Don, How is your recovery coming?  I know changes are usually slow but I am sure you are moving in the right direction.

5 hours ago, don watson said:

Very slowly MarieC. The frustration is the worst thing I think. It feels like so much to do and so little time .......

EDIT Hi Gene Howe, slowly improving with the emphasis on slowly.

Yes, I bet sometimes you feel like you are moving 1 step forward and 2 steps back, but it sounds like you are making progress even though it is slow...so that is wonderful!  It is a long road but hang in there.  The brain/neurons takes longer to heal than most other tissues...but they are healing.  Keep giving them good feedback (as much normal movement as possible) and they will heal in the correct way.  I am praying for you! 🙏