Axminster Tools UK ScrollSaw

Hi All, (but especially UK members),

I have been looking at the AP 535 SS scroll saw from Axminster with the base stand and would like to know if anyone has any experience of these machines. At almost £1000 I would like to know what problems I may meet with this machine before spending that amount of cash. It LOOKS like a simple ON/OFF switch on this machine so I reckon I should be able to fit a foot pedal between the wall socket and the  saw.  I don't really know, that was why I am asking if anyone has any experience with these machines.

Thanks for looking, take care and stay safe

Don W

Not from the UK nor do I have any first hand experience with this saw.. BUT, that said I believe it is basically the same saw as what we all know as the King, or Pegas... which are one of the top saws talked about in the states. I see it comes with the Pegas blade chucks which is an improvement so I'd think with that upgrade from the factory they are a quality saw. 

UK has different electrical standards than the states so I have no idea on the foot switch. We run our saws with a foot switch as you mentioned ( foot switch plugs into power and then saw plugs into foot switch. Many of these saws in the states come with the foot switch.. or at least a upgrade option.. I seen no mention of it on the axminster site, but I would think if you can get a foot switch with the correct power cord and requirements then you should be good to go with a foot switch.  

Don, looking at the photos on Axminster site, I would say that it has an NVR switch fitted. If you did buy one and really need a foot pedal then it would have to be fitted after the NVR. I've not used one of those a great deal but it's the same design as the Dewalt, Delta and Pegas saws, so I can only assume that it would suffer the same problems, (if any) as any of those.

Happy Scrolling

Steve.

Edited by glenwood

I should have said that I use a scroll saw that I purchased from Lidl some 10 years ago. It cost around £50 then and I don't think they are much dearer now. I have fitted a foot switch to it (after the NVR switch and the machine works quite well after that time.) I have fitted an aquarium pump to it also as the rubber bellows was always failing  and am quite happy but may have the chance to buy the much bigger Axminster machine.

Thanks for the replies chaps.

I'm back after a talk with Axminster Tools. The salesman there said that the next lot of machines MAY be fitted with a foot switch as the regulations are due to get changed. It could be 2 months before this happens so there is no rush. I would buy a machine form the USA but I don't see any stockists here and Customs and Excise in the UK would probably treat me as a terrorist for importing a machine/machinery that could be used to make things ?? Why is it so hard to get a machine from anywhere. ???

Hello Don,

I have the AT535SS 21"  scroll saw ( plus stand ) from Axminster tools here in the UK.

I have had the saw for a couple of years now which I bought to replace an entry level 16" saw which I had been using.

I am by no means an expert on scroll saws so all I can really offer are my own experiences so far. I don't know how the saw compares to say a DeWalt or Pegas for example as I have no experience with these saws.

However, I am very happy with my AT535SS. I would say the saw has minimal vibration, is well built and quiet. The tilting table as opposed to a tilting arm is a nice feature which I prefer. The saw has the Pegas blade clamps as well which also seem of very good quality.

I do not have a foot switch but may look into getting one in the future if they are available. The after sales service from Axminster tools is also very good, I also purchased one of their belt / disc sanders and have also found it to be a reliable machine for what I need.

Sorry I cannot offer more "experienced scroll saw user " advice but I hope this helps in some way.

Regards, Alan.

42 minutes ago, Scrollshrimp said:

Hello Don,

I have the AT535SS 21"  scroll saw ( plus stand ) from Axminster tools here in the UK.

I have had the saw for a couple of years now which I bought to replace an entry level 16" saw which I had been using.

I am by no means an expert on scroll saws so all I can really offer are my own experiences so far. I don't know how the saw compares to say a DeWalt or Pegas for example as I have no experience with these saws.

However, I am very happy with my AT535SS. I would say the saw has minimal vibration, is well built and quiet. The tilting table as opposed to a tilting arm is a nice feature which I prefer. The saw has the Pegas blade clamps as well which also seem of very good quality.

I do not have a foot switch but may look into getting one in the future if they are available. The after sales service from Axminster tools is also very good, I also purchased one of their belt / disc sanders and have also found it to be a reliable machine for what I need.

Sorry I cannot offer more "experienced scroll saw user " advice but I hope this helps in some way.

Regards, Alan.

I'm sort of confused here. Doesn't your saw have a tilting arm rather than a tilting table. I have 2 Excaliburs and they both have tilting arms.

Thanks for your input Scrollshrimp. I will wait until later in the year to see what Axi can come up with, hopefully they can get the foot pedal system sorted out. At present I have a foot pedal pedal fitted to the machines I use at home and in the 'Men's Shed' and would like to keep using a foot pedal.