One piece, Two Cut Panels, Three Layers!

FrankEV

1 hour ago, preprius said:

... something is missing.    A flag pole or something hold the flag...

I agree with you.   Thought about adding a pole after seeing the image cutting painted.   I had decided on the panel size before considering adding a pole.  Adding it after the fact would have put the image off center.  If I do another one, I would make the panel bigger (at least longer) and include a pole of some sort as part of the full image.. 

Thanks

Oooo I love this so much!!  I love how you took great care to find the perfect flag for the project. Our flag deserves so much more respect than it is getting these days. It just peeves me off.  This piece is very inspiring and now I want to do something patriotic!!  I just love it!  

Edited by JessL

On 6/19/2023 at 8:40 AM, FrankEV said:

I have been itching to cut another Eagle pattern but could not find an image that I liked or that had not been done by others. 

Since the Bald Eagle is our National Bird and the Emblem of our USA Nation, it is very fitting that it is often shown in various portrayals with the Stars and Stripes, our Grand American Flag.

I found this Image of an Eagle that I liked, but it had a distressed Flag in the background that I did not like.  I tend to be a purest and find the many images of our American Flag shown distressed or with other colors to be, IMHO to some degree, unpatriotic.   I feel Our American flag should be treated with all the respect it deserves.   So, I went searching for a more, again IMHO, standard Image of our Flag.  As you are probably aware, there are a vast number of free images available.   I found an Image of a waving flag that was more suited to being converted to a scroll saw pattern.

I combined the Image of the Eagle (minus the distressed flag) I liked with the version of the Waving American Flag.   My problem was that the Eagle was a “positive” image and the Flag a “negative” image.  I solved this problem by cutting two separate cut Panels.  One of the Eagle and one of the American Flag, with the area that is hidden by the superimposed eagle removed.

The Eagle was cut out of a 1/4” x10” x 12” solid core Walnut panel and the Flag was cut in a 5/32” x 14” x 12” solid core Maple panel.  The backer (third layer) was 1/4” x 14” x 12” BB Ply.

The positive Eagle cutting was quite fragile, so I darkened it by dipping it Minwax Dark Walnut Stain.  The stain was lightly/gently wiped off, hung up and allowed to dry for over three days.

I used my Air Brush to paint the Backer and Flag Cut Panel, the flag “Red, White, and Blue” colors.  In lieu of using Acrylic Gesso under the colors, I sealed all the surfaces to be painted with clear Acrylic Sealer.

The Eagle panel was cut with Pegas #0 and #2/0 spiral blades while the Flag panel was cut with Pegas #1 MGT R blades.

After the stain was dry and painting completed, the panel was assembled in two steps.  The Backer and Flag cut panel glued up first and then the Eagle cutting was glued to the surface of the Flag cut panel.  Thus, three layers.  You can see this in the second Photo below.  The assembled panel was then finished with multiple coats of the Clear Gloss Acrylic

For this unique piece, I custom made a gallery style Floating Frame using nominal 3/4” Maple hardwood with a thin nominal 1/8” gap around the panel.  To match the Maple Cut Panel the Maple frame was left natural and finished with the same Clear Gloss Acrylic Protective Finish.

EagleandFlag.thumb.jpg.957920842b94e7aba0feba7bdc3b7938.jpg

You can all salute now🇱🇷

EagleandFlagangleview.thumb.jpg.d9011f4e739ed155375a21ebfbee0292.jpg

Comments and Critques always welcome.

Beautiful! I had to stand & salute.