Glue board

Over the years I’ve collected a number of plastic pieces used to elevate the center of a pizza box lid.   I use those to set patterns or boards (e.g. for puzzles) on to elevate them off the work table surface.  As far as keeping the work table clean I cover mine with an oversized piece of cardboard. If it gets too filled with overspray just find another box. 

I have a pressboard around 18" x 30", leaning against my wood storage rack or band saw base.   I tape a piece of news paper to the front.  Attach the pattern to the news paper  and spray the back of the pattern.  Every once and a while I replace the new paper.  

C5E5A092-F403-49E5-B5DF-89DACD36F917.jpeg

Edited by Scrappile

Might cost a little more but I avoid the spray adhesive by using full sheet shipping labels.. It's convenient to print, peel, and stick... Not sure how many years I used the labels to mail my products before the light bulb went off to print the patterns on them too.. but it was a while, 😂.. I built a brand new shop in 2012 and didn't want the over spray of that spray glue all over my newly painted concrete floor or all over the walls etc.. so somewhere around that time is when that light lit up.. duh.. LOL.. 

I still use spray glue for those designs that do not fit on one sheet but that is rare for the projects I make typically fit one sheet easily. I also make use of the full sheet if there is room I'll edit patterns to fill a full sheet.. most times for what I do I can get at least two projects on one sheet of paper.. ornaments are typically 6 per sheet. Anyway, it works for me.. your situation may be different and the spray might be a better option. I sure don't miss fussing with clogged nozzles and having sticky fingers every day..

Edit to add: If you buy in bulk off eBay or Amazon they aren't too much money compared to the small packages of them at the box stores.. Also of you regularly do larger projects and have a large format printer then you can buy full sheet adhesive papers in the 11 x 17 size or pretty much any size.. I did that back when I had a large format printer.. Google will help find where to get those from. 

Edited by kmmcrafts

I take mine outside to spray.  The weeds don't mind.  And the time it takes to bring it back lets the glue dry just a bit before applying the pattern.

I also have some of the full sheet shipping labels that Kevin mentioned and I use those often.  No spray mess at all.  

I only spray 3M-77 adhesive for attaching patterns to my panels OUTSIDE  at my trash bins.  Yes, I'm in Florida, but it really dosn't matter what temps as it only takes a minute or so to spray the pattern and panel.  A hard rain is the only time I will put it off for a dryer time.   Heavy wind can be a bother but I can usually deal with it.   Once or twice I attempted to spray the adhesive inside and will never do it again.  Overspray from just a very short application seems to get on everything in the shop.

I always pre-attach my paper pattern to the panel with blue tape to form a hinge.  After the quick spray of both surfaces, I just roll the pattern onto the panel, and then run back inside where I can make sure threre are no bubbles or wrinkles.

I will spray finishes like Lacquer, Paint, Poly, etc. in my shop using heavy brown paper, I get at lowes by the roll which is intended for protecting floors during construction, to protect my bench and table saw (wich I often use as a table as space is a premium in my small shop) .  I think it is 36" wide by a 100 or more feet. I forget the cost but its is not very expensive.  .One piece of the browm paper can be use many times before needing to be discarded when overspray dust gets too messsy. 

While spraying any finish, I always raise my work with 1/4" thick wood strips that I save from panel cut offs  I have painters points (plastic perimid shaped thingamjigs) that can be used but I can never find them when I need them.  And I only have 4, so I often need more and the cut off strips are plentiful and lay  in a pile on a shelf near my work bench.

In my utility woork room in my house where I do most of my coloration using Artist Acrylic Paints, and most recently, applying with an Air Brush, I have set up a makeshift paint spray booth out of cardboard.  No exhaust fan yet, but there are plans to install one now that I'm using the Air Brush.  In the bottom of the booth I like to use cheap tissue paper as a work surface.  A new piece under each new project is quite effective to catch any drips, spills, etc.   The painting area gets very messy.   

6 hours ago, Bill WIlson said:

I also use newspaper.  For those under the age of 40, newspapers are what your ancestors used to line bird cages with.

Thats funny 😁 

I'm 42, I remember newspapers they used to me good for reading too. Not much to the few that still exist though. 

I do get enough junk mail to use for this purpose though. Lol 😁 

Since I have to order all of my hardwoods, walnut, maple, cherry, which none of the big box stores here stock, the box that they are shipped in is 24 inches or longer, 8 inches wider or wider and about 4, or 5 inches deep and I cut one down to about 3 inches deep and that is what I use to spray the glue onto the patterns. I replace it maybe once a year. You can leave the box as is just fold the lid sections down inside, kind of controls over spray if used inside!

Erv

Since I do 99%of my work on the patio, I spray out in the grass. If it is only one or two pieces, I just spray half the blank, turn it and spray the other half (hand held).

Last night, I had several pieces, so I put a rubber glove on my left hand and sprayed them all. That way, I didn't have to be quite so careful with the nozzle.

I made a pull out drawer that is under the workbench top. The drawer has some hardware cloth with 1/2 x 1/2 inch mesh stapled on the open top of the drawer. All overspray goes into the bottom of the drawer. just pull out to spray and close it when done.  It was made from scrap wood. No slides just a couple of boards shaped like an "L" the the drawer rests and slides on. Not good looking but it has been there for years

How large are the pieces you usually spray?

This might have a lot to do with your methods. For myself, it is rare to have a pattern that is more than five or six inches, and not unusual to have pieces that are 1/2 inch long. From the sound of it, some of you are holding the pattern in your hand while spraying.