Train depot

ben

Hi everyone

I'm thinking of building the train depot scroll saw clock plan (in the next month or so) from Wildwood Designs. It is quite large and elaborate and seems to have layered parts. Wondering if anyone here has any experience building it. Any info, tips or pics would be appreciated.

Here's a link to the plan>>> http://www.wildwooddesigns.com/Train-De ... 62C29.aspx

Thanks in advance.

Ben

Hi,

A friend of mine and I built one a few years ago when they first came out.

My wife wanted it made out of the wood called for in the plan, no plywood.

That was another added cost. I purchased both kits ie. flashing lights and

the clock and sound. It took about a week to build and finish. Check and reckeck

everything before you glue and make sure it lines up the way it should. Look

at the way the speaker and battery wiring is placed you might want to make

a change there for easier access. It was a great project and we still receive

many nice complements on the clock and the workmanship that went into it.

Good luck, Joey

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I just started mine over the weekend. After counting, it appears there are 159 parts to the clock. Some of them can be, and many of them should be, cut on the table saw to guarantee straight edges and 90 degree angles for proper fit and alignment. The instructions are very detailed and clear; I anticipate no problems. I bought both the sound and light kits. With plans, kits and wood, I'll have about $200 in it, but I think it's going to be well worth it. Did I mention I love trains? LOL

Outstanding job Ben. Ben and I have been working on the project together with E-Mails. He went beyond me on this special project. We have become friends over this. I hope to finish up mine sometime with all the sounds and lights and show it off. I really like the different woods he put in to it and the sign. Thanks Ben, RichB

Very nice job!! Where did you put the push button switches?

I noticed that they are not under the windows.

Joey

Joey

I built it without the lights, train whistle or pendulum. I just kept it simple.

It seems to me I read somewhere that the lights and train sound were not synchronized. I did not like that idea. I did want to make the clock anyway.

I think the lights and train sound should go on automatically on the hour. It also should have a on/off switch. Just my opinion.

I really like the plan and am glad I made it. Everyone around here and folks that I have sent a picture have all complimented me on how it looks. Of course they are all my relatives and friends what else are they going to say. lol

What means more is the kind words from strangers and fellow woodworker from forums like this one.

Ben