My journey into Intarsia

Dennisfm56

It's always fun watching our progress as we do more and learn.

My effort has been focused on always nailing my lines, this minimizes fine fitting.

If you look at my cuts between the purple and white wood, this has zero fine fitting/sanding, no stacking etc....  Just accurate cuts to the guideline. I just concentrated really hard and went slow, slow, slow.

Capture.JPG

Now going back and cutting some intarsia projects, It bring back the memories of failure I experienced mant times. I would have my cuts with perfect joints   until I glued them. Then the frustrations hit. I made a couple of intarsia project last week and had the same problem. I never seemed to really understand what it was that was causing my problems but I still have them. Not ever time but enough to keep my from diving into too many more. Now I can chalk it up to old age, as i am 83. You and I both know it really is just pour workmanship on my part..don't tell anyone else that about me.

Dick

heppnerguy

22 hours ago, heppnerguy said:

Now going back and cutting some intarsia projects, It bring back the memories of failure I experienced mant times. I would have my cuts with perfect joints   until I glued them. Then the frustrations hit. I made a couple of intarsia project last week and had the same problem. I never seemed to really understand what it was that was causing my problems but I still have them. Not ever time but enough to keep my from diving into too many more. Now I can chalk it up to old age, as i am 83. You and I both know it really is just pour workmanship on my part..don't tell anyone else that about me.

Dick

heppnerguy

Progress not perfection is the key.

55 minutes ago, Dennisfm56 said:

I swear I am going so slow I think my mind is actually moving the wood. Maybe people who are good are really Jedi.

I am molasses on a mid-winter day!  I am very slow, but I nail my lines. 

My philosophy is practice does NOT make perfect... PERFECT practice make perfect. 

Edited by rafairchild2