Bought a saw 👀

Well, I did it. I bought a hegner 22. I just placed the order this morning. I've got a king 16 and I love it but I really wanted a hegner too. Maybe that's crazy ðŸĪŠ, maybe I didn't need it but I just wanted it. 

Hopefully I'll enjoy it. I'm thinking I'll keep both. We'll see what I like each one for as time goes on. Maybe one for delicate work and one for more aggressive stuff or something. 

Welcome to the the HEGNER world.  Be patient, if you have any questions do not hesitate to call Advance Machinery and ask. I had problems when I first bought mine, Breaking blade,  They did not give up on helping me.  Truthfully, I was ready to give up on mine but one day it all fell into place.  I have owned Craftsman saws, TheDewalt, Exvalibur, and Seyco.  All but the craftsman were great saw, but the Hegner is "my saw". fits me right.  I will not part with it as long as I can scroll.. I may buy a second saw, but I will not part with my Hegner.  And Congratulations.  Great choice. 

Great saw!! They are awesome saws once you get the blade tensioning down.. That is probably the most complicated part of the Hawk and Hegners.. My first was a Hawk and I was ready to throw it into a trash can at one point, LOL But as Paul said, then something clicked and I haven't looked back.. I love my Hawks.. I Like the Hegner but my biggest issue with the Hegner is the small table, and yes you can fab a larger top but since I have two of the biggest Hawks with nice tables I just use those for the larger works and the Hegner gets used for smaller pieces. I didn't have any issues with blades breaking but most of my tensioning skills came from learning it on the Hawks. They are way more fussy with tension than the Excaliburs and like saws.. I like using my Excalibur too for certain projects.. guess I could get by with just a Hawk but it is nice to be reassured of how nice of a saw it is when I go to trying to cut on the Excalibur, LOL.. You forget how nice it is to have a spring loaded upper arm instead of having to "lift it up" etc.. Same thing when I went from DeWalt to Excalibur.. the DW has to have something to hold the arm up once raise... great saws too but just not the Cadillac saw like the Hawks and Hegners are.. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/12/2023 at 9:11 PM, James E. Welch said:

Well, I did it. I bought a hegner 22. I just placed the order this morning. I've got a king 16 and I love it but I really wanted a hegner too. Maybe that's crazy ðŸĪŠ, maybe I didn't need it but I just wanted it. 

Hopefully I'll enjoy it. I'm thinking I'll keep both. We'll see what I like each one for as time goes on. Maybe one for delicate work and one for more aggressive stuff or something. 

I have a 21 excelsior and an rbi. Prefer the king for fret work, but the rbi eats hardwood

20221227_172334.jpg

1 hour ago, Woodrush said:

I have a 21 excelsior and an rbi. Prefer the king for fret work, but the rbi eats hardwood

20221227_172334.jpg

I'm experiencing the opposite effect. The king is far more aggressive even though I rotated the motor and tuned it down as much as possible in the back to front motion. My king rips through hardwood like it's hot butter. With the same blade and same work piece my hegner slowly moves through. Not terribly slow but noticeably slower. I'm telling myself the hegner will be more accurate to make up for this slower speed. 😒 

I will say though that the hegner seems to race through hardwood when I tension it really tightly. I broke so many blades when I first got it that I'm afraid I'm a little gun shy now. I'm slowly getting the tension figured our and hopefully once I have mastered the hegner it will be satisfactory. I do like how quiet and smooth it is. 

• 2 weeks later...

Congrats on the new saw!
I agree, they are very quiet and smooth. I’ve broken a few blades on my Hegner, and it scares the living crap out of me when they do break. I will take the blade clamping system on the Hegner over any other on the market, as I have yet to have blade slippage and tensioning can be almost exact. Is it the fastest system? Hell no, but when I’m scrolling, time gets thrown out the window. 
A question for you James, Did you buy the lighted magnifier?  I did, I like the light, but the jury is still out on the magnifier. 
Enjoy your new saw. 

• 4 weeks later...