Eye protection during scrollsawing?

MarieC

19 minutes ago, Sycamore67 said:

If you have an allergic reaction to a wood,  it would be best not to use it.  Allergic reactions are very serious and with increased exposure could get much worse.  

Even with the best they collection, you do not get all the dust.

I don't feel I am having an allergic reaction just some irritation of my eyes.  No respiratory or itchy stuff going on.  I think a dust collection system would be a great idea for me though.  Thank you for your concern and help.  Very much appreciated! 😊

On 7/26/2023 at 12:10 PM, MarieC said:

I have a large dust collection system in my shop but it is sooo loud that I haven't set it up for my scroll saw...I just don't want to wear hearing protection when I scroll.  I do have a filtration system but it is hanging up in the rafters.... You are probably correct in that I may be sensitive to the Peruvian Walnut (don't seem to have much trouble with the Walnut from around the US)  I do have a few shopvacs for certain items, as wel,l but they are pretty noisy ....Do you know of a quieter shop vac... When I went to Paul's @Scrappile place I noticed he had a dust collection set up but I don't recall it turning on when I briefly sawed so was unsure how loud it was.  I may need to run over to see him again and see how he had his dust collection set up.  It looked pretty cool....That if he will invite me over again 😅

I don't remember turning it on, but I have the Fein dust extractor (vacuum), call it a dust extractor and they can charge more. It has right round the same noise level as the Festool, and yes I get tired of even hearing it.  But I hate to wear ear protection so I put up with it.  And you are welcome anytime, I learned more from you than you learned for me.  I think the Festool may be a better, longer lasting unit.  My first Fien had a 3 year warrenty, it worked great for 3 years arced and sparked on 3 year, 3 months to the day... Like it had a timer set.  I only purchased a second one because there was a sale and I only needed the vacuum, I already had all the attachments.  My dust collection works at, I would say a B level.  There is still dust, have not perfected the collection under the saw.. But it is greatly diminished from when I had none.   Easy to make dust collection for a scroll saw, only costs a little PVC pipe and connecting pieces.  Mine is modeled after what many have done on here.   I would and will send you a picture, but if you search it you will/should see quite a few and each has some variation, which will give you different ideas which may be better than mine.  It is fun to make and switch around to see what you like best.  Some of my parts have not been glued yet because I know it is an ongoing project.  

Again Marie.. welcome any time.. as are any scrollers that happens to want to come.  I always have such a good time and develop such great friendships.  If the scroller happens to be an impersonator and not really a good scroller person I know how to deal with them. 

Edited by Scrappile

1 hour ago, Scrappile said:

I don't remember turning it on, but I have the Fein dust extractor (vacuum), call it a dust extractor and they can charge more. It has right round the same noise level as the Festool, and yes I get tired of even hearing it.  But I hate to wear ear protection so I put up with it.  And you are welcome anytime, I learned more from you than you learned for me.  I think the Festool may be a better, longer lasting unit.  My first Fien had a 3 year warrenty, it worked great for 3 years arced and sparked on 3 year, 3 months to the day... Like it had a timer set.  I only purchased a second one because there was a sale and I only needed the vacuum, I already had all the attachments.  My dust collection works at, I would say a B level.  There is still dust, have not perfected the collection under the saw.. But it is greatly diminished from when I had none.   Easy to make dust collection for a scroll saw, only costs a little PVC pipe and connecting pieces.  Mine is modeled after what many have done on here.   I would and will send you a picture, but if you search it you will/should see quite a few and each has some variation, which will give you different ideas which may be better than mine.  It is fun to make and switch around to see what you like best.  Some of my parts have not been glued yet because I know it is an ongoing project.  

Again Marie.. welcome any time.. as are any scrollers that happens to want to come.  I always have such a good time and develop such great friendships.  If the scroller happens to be an impersonator and not really a good scroller person I know how to deal with them. 

okay, please send me pics.  I will also look on line.  I thought I remember a larger thing that looked like the "puffer"...was that a dust collector tube?  I will plan to make another trip down there to see my frield....hopefully before the Summer is out.  Will let you know if that happens.  Thanks so much!