Excalibur 16"

coldwood

My saw has been giving me problems lately. The tension lever at the front of the saw loosens off after about 10 seconds. and also if I try to run it without a blade in it , it still loosens off.

I put some tape around the lever,  but that's not very productive.  anyone else have that problem.  Jim 

I believe the Excalibur stock tensioner is supposed to be lubed with a non petroleum grease.. Pretty sure I read that somewhere and I'm also pretty sure most folks don't do it..

I have swapped out my stock system to the Pegas.. I'm not certain that the Pegas is to be greased or not, however I had a slight squeak when moving my lever after having it for a month or so.. I sprayed this stuff on the moving parts of the lever and it worked sooo much easier and smoother.. I have always just sprayed it about every month ever since and with 500 hours or so on the saw and have never had to replace those common worn / broke parts.. I use this dry lube on a whole lot of things like even my lawn mower wheels.. the mower pushes so easy it's not believable LOL.. so I use it on the cables and most anything with moving parts.. Car door hinges and latches etc.. stuff is amazing.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Blaster-9-3-oz-Premium-Silicone-Garage-Door-Lubricant-Spray-16-GDL/202532761?g_store=&source=shoppingads&locale=en-US&pla&mtc=SHOPPING-BF-CDP-GGL-D25T-025_031_GARAGE_AUTO-NA-Multi-NA-PMAX-NA-NA-NA-NA-NBR-NA-NA-NA-Automotive&cm_mmc=SHOPPING-BF-CDP-GGL-D25T-025_031_GARAGE_AUTO-NA-Multi-NA-PMAX-NA-NA-NA-NA-NBR-NA-NA-NA-Automotive-71700000113075003--&gclid=Cj0KCQjwrMKmBhCJARIsAHuEAPRgAF_NUkr6VkX4CUL-nTFZSiWthCJxpLDtxpK83if6IJd81wtTXlQaAoLHEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

1 hour ago, kmmcrafts said:

I believe the Excalibur stock tensioner is supposed to be lubed with a non petroleum grease.. Pretty sure I read that somewhere and I'm also pretty sure most folks don't do it..

I have swapped out my stock system to the Pegas.. I'm not certain that the Pegas is to be greased or not, however I had a slight squeak when moving my lever after having it for a month or so.. I sprayed this stuff on the moving parts of the lever and it worked sooo much easier and smoother.. I have always just sprayed it about every month ever since and with 500 hours or so on the saw and have never had to replace those common worn / broke parts.. I use this dry lube on a whole lot of things like even my lawn mower wheels.. the mower pushes so easy it's not believable LOL.. so I use it on the cables and most anything with moving parts.. Car door hinges and latches etc.. stuff is amazing.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Blaster-9-3-oz-Premium-Silicone-Garage-Door-Lubricant-Spray-16-GDL/202532761?g_store=&source=shoppingads&locale=en-US&pla&mtc=SHOPPING-BF-CDP-GGL-D25T-025_031_GARAGE_AUTO-NA-Multi-NA-PMAX-NA-NA-NA-NA-NBR-NA-NA-NA-Automotive&cm_mmc=SHOPPING-BF-CDP-GGL-D25T-025_031_GARAGE_AUTO-NA-Multi-NA-PMAX-NA-NA-NA-NA-NBR-NA-NA-NA-Automotive-71700000113075003--&gclid=Cj0KCQjwrMKmBhCJARIsAHuEAPRgAF_NUkr6VkX4CUL-nTFZSiWthCJxpLDtxpK83if6IJd81wtTXlQaAoLHEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

Kevin, is it a dry lube carried in a liquid and must be shaken prior to spraying? Or is it truly a dry lube? I used to have a tube of powdered graphite that worked great but was really messy. It was meant for lock cylinders. 

1 hour ago, OCtoolguy said:

Kevin, is it a dry lube carried in a liquid and must be shaken prior to spraying? Or is it truly a dry lube? I used to have a tube of powdered graphite that worked great but was really messy. It was meant for lock cylinders. 

It's in liquid form but dries fairly quick to create a dry lubricating very thin coating. I think it has Teflon in it as well.. not sure but so far it's the best I've seen. Yeah I bought some graphite dry lube as that was what Bushton recommended to use on the wedge on the new saw... It's messy and honestly didn't work all that well in my opinion so I started using this stuff and love it.  

34 minutes ago, TAIrving said:

The description of this stuff says it includes silicon.  Not good to get that on our wood projects.  

Yeah don't spray the table with it, LOL.. I lay out paper towels etc. on the table just in case it splatters when trying to spray the little areas that I do.. and when doing the Pegas tension lever parts I remove the thumb / set screws so I do not get it on the ends of those.. I'm sure as slick as this stuff is you'd for sure lose your blade gripping power. I do spray the thumb screw side to lube the threads to keep them working nice and smooth..