I Sold My Old RBI Hawk 220

BadBob

If I had the floor space, I might have kept it. It took about three weeks to sell on the Facebook marketplace, and I let it go for $100.00 with some blades and spare parts.

I bought it several years ago, covered with dust and sitting in the back of a barn. I spent well over $100 refurbishing it, and it was my go-to saw for a long time until I purchased a used Excalibur EX-21. It didn't take long before the Hawk was collecting dust. I gave away my old AMT 16-inch saw to a friend, and the Hawk became my backup saw. My EX-21 is my backup, and a Pegas saw is my primary.

While I had my AMT, EX-21, and Hawk scroll saws sitting next to each other, I experimented. I cut the pattern using the same wood and blade type on all three saws. There was very little difference in the way they cut. Surprisingly, the AMT saw produced a smoother cut than the other two. For me, blade changes trumped everything, so the EX-21 was the winner.

The AMT had to go, and I began a search for another use, EX-21. By this time, they didn't make new EX-21 saws anymore, and no one was selling used ones anywhere within a day's drive. They started making them in China, but these seemed to be junk. After over two years of watching for a used saw, I was about ready to pull the trigger on a new Pegas when I accidentally stumbled across a used Pegas in new condition for sale on the Facebook marketplace. How the ad was worded would never show up in a search for scroll saw. It took me two days to get it, but it was worth the trip. The Pegas had been purchased new and never used.

So now I need to clear out enough room for the Pegas bandsaw.

Unfortunately used Hawks (actually Hegners too) just don't bring as much money as they should.. yet a old DeWalt that was originally only about $350 back in the day will still bring $200 - 300, LOL. The higher end saws take that person that knows what it is to know what a deal it is even though it's priced more than the new DW..

I had my old Hawk listed for a couple months at $300 and was a really clean nice working saw.. I let it go for $200.. I have been thinking about selling my old Ultra 226VS.. It is like brand new even though it's a 1998 saw it was still new in a seal box when I got it in 2016. I put a hour meter on my stuff and it just turned 100 hours on it.. I'm doubtful I can even get the $400 I paid for it.. at least very quickly.. Being the condition it is in and I don't "need" to sell it I'll likely not let it go for less than that $400 price.. so likely to not sell it, LOL..  I should be able to break even on the Hegner when / if I decide to sell it since it was given to me. 😂

I don't think most people can tell a difference in cut between those saws for the majority of cutting.. I notice it most on if I was cutting some very thin stock and also a little noticeable on thick stock. Thin stock more so because I can certainly feel the EX type saws being more aggressive even tuned to it's best less aggressive point possible it isn't as nice to use on that thin stock as the higher end saws.. BUT, in my case.. I'm almost always stack cutting and cutting at least 1/2" most all the time and for that, the EX saw seems slightly faster cutting and more efficient. 

So did you get a Pegas bandsaw then? I think if you did you'd love that for a lot of the work you do it seems like it'd be more efficient.   

4 minutes ago, kmmcrafts said:

So did you get a Pegas bandsaw then?

Not yet. I need to make space in my shop before buying a Pegas bandsaw. I want one because I think they would be excellent for compound cutting. It would let me cut larger and more detailed cuts. Last year I had someone who wanted a bunch of the reindeer I make with my scrollsaw but much larger than the ones I cut on my scroll saw. I have a bandsaw setup with a Carter Stabilizer and the smallest blade I could get, and I was never able to cut one to my satisfaction successfully.

These are not the simple bandsaw reindeer you usually see.
20221019-194542011ReindeerHerdSetofThreeforChristmasDecorationorToysHandmadeUnfinishedUnpaintedSelectGradeHardwoodAnimals917935014.thumb.jpg.30515a773514766090796e5b83cff673.jpg

4 minutes ago, BadBob said:

I price the Hawk to sell as I need the space badly.  If it didn't sell I was going to see if one of the charities would take it.

I have thought about the charities because then it could be written off the taxes at a more reasonable value.. My old saw was a 1993 and had that problematic motor on it.. I didn't mind selling it at a low price because who knows when / if the motor might have a problem the very next day the person buys it, LOL.. The other saw ( Ultra ) is basically still a new saw where as the old one I got needed lots of work when I got it, I used it quite a bit so it was basically paid for itself anyway.. 

3 hours ago, BadBob said:

Not yet. I need to make space in my shop before buying a Pegas bandsaw. I want one because I think they would be excellent for compound cutting. It would let me cut larger and more detailed cuts. Last year I had someone who wanted a bunch of the reindeer I make with my scrollsaw but much larger than the ones I cut on my scroll saw. I have a bandsaw setup with a Carter Stabilizer and the smallest blade I could get, and I was never able to cut one to my satisfaction successfully.

20221019-194542011ReindeerHerdSetofThreeforChristmasDecorationorToysHandmadeUnfinishedUnpaintedSelectGradeHardwoodAnimals917935014.thumb.jpg.30515a773514766090796e5b83cff673.jpg

I have a Pegas Band saw. Sure wish you could test drive one before you made the purchase. I do a lot of compound cutting of chess pieces. There is no way I can cut them with my band saw. It will not turn sharp enough.  I love it for my intarsia projects. It will cut thick hard hard wood with ease. I do enough intarsia so it is well worth it even if that is all I use it for.  On my scroll saw I have a tendency to push sideways a bit so my pieces end up a bit out of square. I have gotten very frustrated with Pegas because blades and bearings have been a real issue getting. I waited over six months to get #7 bearings. I bought mine from Denny and would highly recommend him if you decide to pull the trigger. 

I have sold a number of tools lately and never get what I want.  So, I wait until the person I like comes along and give them a good deal.  I recently sold my Stihl chainsaw and a Stihl Kombi unit with attachments.  I liked the guy and gave him a good price.  Same thing with a Jet 15" 3 hp planer.

I sold a Simplicity ZTR to a jerk and gave him the worst deal I could.  I was about to kick him out when he coughed up the full price in cash.

I am gradually selling some bigger tools as I get older. I have replaced my gas chain saw and string trimmer with Ego battery ones.  I a!so sold a gas pressure washer and got an electric one.  I just can not pull the starter cord multiple times to get things started

Selling things is a pain.

6 hours ago, BadBob said:

Nice!

Problem for me with power washers is the gas goes bad so you either have to keep it empty and just put enough gas in it to do your washing or drain it when done.. Sometimes electric is the way to go on this stuff unless you're using it daily or at least running a tank of gas every month so it's not setting for months with gas that spoils very fast these days. Most gas in our area has ethanol mixed in it which will eat the rubber lines that is used in small engines.. so leaving gas in something for any length of time isn't good on the hoses and it also corrodes aluminum terrible which most small engines carbs are made of. LOL

I have a electric washer and it's always ready.. no cleaning carbs out no oil changes etc..  About to buy a cordless string trimmer.. I only run 1 tank of gas through my string trimmer every season and run it until it runs out before putting it away for winter. But having to make a special mixed gas and just general maintenance is more hassle than it's worth. I did finally buy a cordless blower to blow the grass clippings off the walkways etc and for fall leaf cleanup. IF I didn't have such a big yard I'd get a cordless mower too.. but they say they only get about 20 - 40 minutes.. takes me about 2.5 - 3 hours to mow with the walk behind.. I do sometimes use the rider mower with 60" deck but I like the walk behind just so I don't need to have a gym membership to go walk on a treadmill, LOL.. Tractor is used more for the rototiller attachment and snow plow or blower..  

I am very pleased with my Ego battery tools.  I have the chainsaw, string trimmer and blower.  They are really about the weight of gas powered ones.  I have three batteries..A smaller one(2.5 amps) and two bigger ones(5.0  amps).  I use the smaller one mostly as it is lighter. However for any bigger jobs, I will use the heavier ones.