EX-16 refurb

GrampaJim

Not defending China made Excaliburs and not saying I would necessarily buy one, but I recall when Dewalt moved their production to the Far East from North America many years ago.  The scrolling forums were ablaze with complaints about how the Type 2 Dewalts were plagued with quality problems and practically junk.  After a few years, the new manufacturer got their act together and Dewalt's reputation has largely been restored.  

I'm not saying that has happened with Excaliburs, but I think for the price they are asking, it is worth finding out.  Looking forward to a review, once you've had a chance to make some sawdust with it.

Honestly agree with both Ray and Bill, Here's the thing for me since I own one of the first few China made EX-21's out there.. I got mine before there was even any word of them coming back with the EX-21 so it's pretty close to the first batch of them out there..

My saw actually wasn't horrible and the biggest thing with it was actually the blade chuck was defective so I struggled to get blades installed and also stay tight. Once I put Pegas heads on it the saw was actually pretty awesome.. Of course I ran the crap out of it and in short order it needed new bearings.. replaced the whole assembly from Seyco and it's been a really good saw.. There were differences in some of the parts so it's kinda a chance to get parts to fit.. I can confirm on the EX-21 that the whole inside the saw assembly will work but the front caps are different and won't work.. can't vouch for anything on the 16" saw though.. 

Being mechanical I wouldn't be afraid to buy another one, however if I wasn't mechanical I wouldn't recommend one so I usually say stay away from one if you're not comfortable taking one apart and doing some repairs.

There are still lots of folks badmouth talking about the type 2 Dewalts.. that happened way back around 2004-5 ish.. My 2008 saw was a awesome one.. 

Ray is correct, CPO is decent to deal with.. I bought quite a lot from them over the years.. A Dremmel scroll saw back in the day 2006 and when I got it the speed controller didn't work stuck on the slowest speed, LOL.. They emailed a return label and sent out a new one right away.  I did have to take the old one to the nearest UPS though. 

I have had a good experience with CPO customer service.

If I didn't have the money for a better saw, I would try it. However, you should know the return policy in advance because return shipping could be very expensive.

I have changed every replaceable part of an EX-21, including the electronics, and they are not hard to work on.  A crow's foot is handy to have but other than that there are no special tools required.

Edited by BadBob