Using remainig piecs of LED strip light

Hi to all,

I have posted this on the other 2 popular forums, sorry if you read it again.

I found this really nice Steve Good Christmas item that we are considering making for our church's gift shop.  
I am wondering if anyone has any information on how to power pieces of remaining LED light strips?  There are many different LED strips available on the internet, and they are all longer than what would be needed to make this beautiful box.  If I could find a method that even I could do, to reuse the leftover pieces, that will help bring the price down, our intention is to donate these to the Friary to help rsiae some funds for them.  The LED strips that I have are 5 volt and I know that I could use a USB connection to accomplish what I need to do, I am having trouble locating USB cables with the connctor on one end only, if I can find the cable I need, then I am capable of soldering the positive and negative wires to the strip.  That should work.

Allow me to give a BIG shout out to Steve, I contactd him and inquired as to how he would supply power to the LED strips, he was able to get right back to me and explain that he has never tried to do that, and he sent along some info on a youtube video and a contact page on Amazon.

Thank you all for reading this topic, I hope I made sense to everyone.

fetch?filedataid=78158&type=medium  
Rick

LED Nativity .png

Hi Ray, 

thanks for reading and responding to my post.  

I have done that and it works great, I guess I should have been more clear with my rquest, I have not had any luck finding USB cables that have a bare end on one side and the connector on the other.  Our intention with this project is to make many of these light boxes and donate them to the Franciscan Friary where we attend Sunday Mass, and they can then sell them in the gift shop.  

I think I will start asking my friends to save me any old USB cables they were intending to toss out.  You are correct about the RED & WHITE wires used for power.

Best to you  and thanks again.

Rick

1 hour ago, Hudson River Rick said:

Hi Ray, 

thanks for reading and responding to my post.  

I have done that and it works great, I guess I should have been more clear with my rquest, I have not had any luck finding USB cables that have a bare end on one side and the connector on the other.  Our intention with this project is to make many of these light boxes and donate them to the Franciscan Friary where we attend Sunday Mass, and they can then sell them in the gift shop.  

I think I will start asking my friends to save me any old USB cables they were intending to toss out.  You are correct about the RED & WHITE wires used for power.

Best to you  and thanks again.

Rick

In most electronics projects, usb cables are seldom if ever hard-wired to the project. If possible you might try wiring in the female end so that the cable becomes replaceable. 

• 2 weeks later...