Need Advice Refurbishing and Old Somerville Excalibur 30

I got a used Somerville Excalibur 30 (Model EX30VS, made in Canada) from an estate sale.  It's a great saw to work with, but there are some things that need to be fixed or replaced.  I contacted Ray at Seyco, but he didn't have the parts for it and made it sound like it was a lost cause.  I believe my saw is from the late 90's.  The biggest issues are that (1) the tension lever is snapped off, (2) the blade cuts at a 2 degree angle when the plate is level, and (3) the blower doesn't work.  The more minor issues are that the press foot is really hard to adjust and it is missing the belt cover.  Any advice on parts that would be compatible with this machine, or sources for parts other than Ray?

Thanks!

DFC66465-9B7C-47BC-911C-8DF27F9BA703.jpg

91D614AB-FE08-4085-A10A-7D5B5665AC9B.jpg

Are you trying to restore it to be 100% original or just make it usable? I don't know enough about these older versions to give any sound advice, but it seems like the newer Excalibur or even the Pegas blade chucks would fit this to make it usable. As for the belt guard.. if you know someone with a 3D printer you could just have one made, or better yet make one from wood using the saw. I don't know how the saw angles on these old saws but many saws you have to adjust it when it's new to get it square to the table and then zero out the pointer gauge.. Did you get a manual with the saw? Probably a download for it out there in the web somewhere but it should tell you how to square up the blade and adjust the zero needle or pin.  

On 8/22/2023 at 7:10 AM, kmmcrafts said:

Are you trying to restore it to be 100% original or just make it usable? I don't know enough about these older versions to give any sound advice, but it seems like the newer Excalibur or even the Pegas blade chucks would fit this to make it usable. As for the belt guard.. if you know someone with a 3D printer you could just have one made, or better yet make one from wood using the saw. I don't know how the saw angles on these old saws but many saws you have to adjust it when it's new to get it square to the table and then zero out the pointer gauge.. Did you get a manual with the saw? Probably a download for it out there in the web somewhere but it should tell you how to square up the blade and adjust the zero needle or pin.  

Pegas chucks fit. I put a set on a 1983 ex19

On 8/21/2023 at 9:38 PM, CaliforniaQuail said:

I got a used Somerville Excalibur 30 (Model EX30VS, made in Canada) from an estate sale.  It's a great saw to work with, but there are some things that need to be fixed or replaced.  I contacted Ray at Seyco, but he didn't have the parts for it and made it sound like it was a lost cause.  I believe my saw is from the late 90's.  The biggest issues are that (1) the tension lever is snapped off, (2) the blade cuts at a 2 degree angle when the plate is level, and (3) the blower doesn't work.  The more minor issues are that the press foot is really hard to adjust and it is missing the belt cover.  Any advice on parts that would be compatible with this machine, or sources for parts other than Ray?

Thanks!

DFC66465-9B7C-47BC-911C-8DF27F9BA703.jpg

91D614AB-FE08-4085-A10A-7D5B5665AC9B.jpg

If by press foot you are referring to the hold-down, most scrollers remove them and give them a healthy toss. A safety item to save on lawsuits. Looking at your picture, I think a tension lever from a newer model should work. But as already stated, if you want to really sweeten up your saw buy a set of Pegas blade clamps. They work great and all that clutter on the front end goes away. 

By the way, welcome to SSV. Please keep on posting.