Elephant Puzzle for my Great Granson

FrankEV

I'm not a puzzle maker.  However, I found a nice Puzzle of an Elephant that I thought would be nice to make for my soon-to-be-born Great-Grandson.  His nursery is all decked out in Elephant's on his crib blankets, a hanging mobile etc.

I did not have any nice solid wood, so I decided to cut it in a piece of 3/4" thick premium pine, since I plan to paint the puzzle pieces anyway... Airbrush Elephant Grey of course using Artist Acrylic paint with a Polycrylic protective coating.  

Thinking I needed a wide kerf I used a Pegas #1 spiral blade.  This proved to be the wrong choice.  Although it goes together easily it is very loose and the cut edges are not very smooth. I have since found out, from replies to my Q&A, I should have used a standard blade.

I had used a drill hole to start the perimeter cut which left a solid boarder.  I added a backer to the border, mounted the boarder - tilted back about 12 degrees - to a base and I’m able to use it to display the puzzle that won’t stand up by itself.   I stained the Pine stand with Minwax Sedona Red and finished it with multiple coats of Clear Gloss Lacquer.

Although I did not do things the best way and the results could have been better, I think the finish project came out OK.

ElephantPuzzle.thumb.jpg.9283f9b2eb1d930ad688eb71b1e7c650.jpg

Comments and Critiques always welcome.