Halloween Lantern

FrankEV

I found groups of Halloween images that were available for making papercut lanterns.  I put together various images to create scroll saw patterns for a four sided Halloween Lantern with four different sides.  I already had some Transparent Orange Acrylic Plastic from my Previous Night Light project that I added the Drafting Velum to, to make it translucent. 

I used 1/4“ Solid Core Birch Ply. The lantern is 5.5" square by 8" tall (not including the 1 1/2" hight hanging pinicle on top). I used my typical mitered corners construction technique and the box was painted Black inside and out.  Not happy with the finish as there are blemishes that are visible in the Photos below.  I can't sand and repaint with the plexi in place and the box all glued together.

I wanted the lantern to be lit with a battery operated LED light of some kind.  I was looking at various products in Hobby Lobby and came across this small ‘Bottle Twinkle Light set with 10 LEDs’ for $2.99.  The battery compartment is shaped like a cork for use in a bottle.   I drilled a 5/8” dia. Hole in the bottom of the lantern.  I inserted it with the Lights bunched up as you can se in the Photo below, so it acted like a lightbulb and is easily inserted and/or removed.  Perfect amount of light.

I plan to buy some very lightweight Black, 12 to 18" long, chain and hooks for hanging.

HalloweenLantern1.thumb.JPG.e490a2096add6a5a64b8509a31d30c50.JPG

HalloweenLantern2.thumb.JPG.5bd88c1b4ed0e6ea71f4740d78081641.JPG

HalloweenLanternLight.thumb.JPG.54fb6c630aede36690eeeb6e0fcbb748.JPGHalloweenLanternBot.thumb.JPG.0bb6eecf10d67bb9db2a61d0548dbe79.JPG

Comments and critiques always welcome.