Large Snowflake Ball Ornament by Good

FrankEV

I made four of these large, 7” diameter, Snowflake Ornaments by Steve Good, that I will be giving away to some of my neighbors with my cookie trays that I do each year just before Christmas.   We all have carports, and these will be a nice decoration to hang under them.  (IMO they are too big for a typical indoor Christmas tree.)

To make them I stack cut four pieces of 1/4" BB ply for each half.   Cutting with Pegas #5 MGT R was a slow go.  Took three blades to complete each half as they got dull quickly. 

Although I thought I sanded the halves well, after they were assembled, glued and pin nailed together, as soon as I primed painted them, fuzzies appeared.  After drying, I had to knock the fuzzies down with my sanding mop, but there are still some visible where the mop could not get to.  As the saying goes:  “You won’t see them from Brooklyn”.

I painted them with a finish coat of Krylon Glitter Shimmer, but the glitter did not show well.  Retacked the surfaces and added some “White Body Glitter Powder”, that my lady had, and then recoated with Krylon Glitter Sealer.  Now the sparkles are more visible in real life, but not so much in the photos.

At least this year I got my Holiday projects completed way in advance.  Now I can concentrate on my Art Panels.

OrnamentLargeSnowflake1.thumb.JPG.af56f455c734069757b3aed656bfa0ee.JPGOrnamentLargeSnowflake2.thumb.JPG.8d024029d606a53e2726067f62c42c18.JPG

Comments and critiques always welcome.

Edited by FrankEV

51 minutes ago, jerry walters said:

Boy Frank, I wish I was one of your neighbors. You would get tired of me looking over your shoulder to see how you do things and to learn. I could learn a lot. And then to receive a cookie tray. I love cookies.

Jerry

Checking your Profile I see you live in Colorado.  And given you were a High School athelete in 1958, makes you close to my age...OLD

Why the heck are you still in CO, you too could be a transplant to Florida.  I'd welcome a Scoller Neighbor.  I'd even bake you cookies at Christmas.

2 hours ago, rjweb said:

Frank, they look good, I tried making them a lot smaller in size 3 1/2 inches for the tree, but couldn't get the lettering correct so i gave up, RJ

Is this what you tried to make (3.5" dia).  I think I could cut it using a Pegas #2/0 blade.  I would probably use a #2/0 Spiral.   May not be able to stack cut more than maybe 2.  

Christmas Snowflake Ornament Pattern .125 - Good.pdf

IChristmasSnowflakeOrnamentPattern.125-Good.thumb.jpg.0e79cacdde3ff587b2b8bf635eac39f5.jpg